Polymeric-calcium phosphate cement composites-material properties: in vitro and in vivo investigations.
AuthorsKhashaba, Rania M.
Moussa, Mervet M
Mettenburg, Donald J
Rueggeberg, Frederick A.
Chutkan, Norman B.
Borke, James L.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNew polymeric calcium phosphate cement composites (CPCs) were developed. Cement powder consisting of 60 wt% tetracalcium phosphate, 30 wt% dicalcium phosphate dihydrate, and 10 wt% tricalcium phosphate was combined with either 35% w/w poly methyl vinyl ether maleic acid or polyacrylic acid to obtain CPC-1 and CPC-2. The setting time and compressive and diametral tensile strength of the CPCs were evaluated and compared with that of a commercial hydroxyapatite cement. In vitro cytotoxicity and in vivo biocompatibility of the two CPCs and hydroxyapatite cement were assessed. The setting time of the cements was 5-15 min. CPC-1 and CPC-2 showed significantly higher compressive and diametral strength values compared to hydroxyapatite cement. CPC-1 and CPC-2 were equivalent to Teflon controls after 1 week. CPC-1, CPC-2, and hydroxyapatite cement elicited a moderate to intense inflammatory reaction at 7 days which decreased over time. CPC-1 and CPC-2 show promise for orthopedic applications.
CitationInt J Biomater. 2010 Jul 29; 2010:691452
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 incorporation in a calcium phosphate bone cement: material properties and release characteristics.
- Authors: Blom EJ, Klein-Nulend J, Wolke JG, van Waas MA, Driessens FC, Burger EH
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 incorporation in an alpha-tricalcium phosphate/dicalcium phosphate dihydrate/tetracalcium phosphate monoxide cement: release characteristics and physicochemical properties.
- Authors: Blom EJ, Klein-Nulend J, Wolke JG, Kurashina K, van Waas MA, Burger EH
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Silver-Doped Calcium Phosphate Bone Cements with Antibacterial Properties.
- Authors: Rau JV, Fosca M, Graziani V, Egorov AA, Zobkov YV, Fedotov AY, Ortenzi M, Caminiti R, Baranchikov AE, Komlev VS
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 18
- Preparation, physical-chemical characterization, and cytocompatibility of polymeric calcium phosphate cements.
- Authors: Khashaba RM, Moussa M, Koch C, Jurgensen AR, Missimer DM, Rutherford RL, Chutkan NB, Borke JL
- Issue date: 2011
- High early strength calcium phosphate bone cement: effects of dicalcium phosphate dihydrate and absorbable fibers.
- Authors: Burguera EF, Xu HH, Takagi S, Chow LC
- Issue date: 2005 Dec 15