Single-Channel Electrophysiology Reveals a Distinct and Uniform Pore Complex Formed by Î±-Synuclein Oligomers in Lipid Membranes
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSynucleinopathies such as Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy and dementia with Lewy bodies are characterized by deposition of aggregated Î±-synuclein. Recent findings indicate that pathological oligomers rather than fibrillar aggregates may represent the main toxic protein species. It has been shown that Î±-synuclein oligomers can increase the conductance of lipid bilayers and, in cell-culture, lead to calcium dyshomeostasis and cell death. In this study, employing a setup for single-channel electrophysiology, we found that addition of iron-induced Î±-synuclein oligomers resulted in quantized and stepwise increases in bilayer conductance indicating insertion of distinct transmembrane pores. These pores switched between open and closed states depending on clamped voltage revealing a single-pore conductance comparable to that of bacterial porins. Pore conductance was dependent on transmembrane potential and the available cation. The pores stably inserted into the bilayer and could not be removed by buffer exchange. Pore formation could be inhibited by co-incubation with the aggregation inhibitor baicalein. Our findings indicate that iron-induced Î±-synuclein oligomers can form a uniform and distinct pore species with characteristic electrophysiological properties. Pore formation could be a critical event in the pathogenesis of synucleinopathies and provide a novel structural target for disease-modifying therapy.
CitationPLoS One. 2012 Aug 3; 7(8):e42545
- Generation of ferric iron links oxidative stress to α-synuclein oligomer formation.
- Authors: Levin J, Högen T, Hillmer AS, Bader B, Schmidt F, Kamp F, Kretzschmar HA, Bötzel K, Giese A
- Issue date: 2011
- Two different binding modes of α-synuclein to lipid vesicles depending on its aggregation state.
- Authors: Högen T, Levin J, Schmidt F, Caruana M, Vassallo N, Kretzschmar H, Bötzel K, Kamp F, Giese A
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 4
- Alpha-synuclein mediates alterations in membrane conductance: a potential role for alpha-synuclein oligomers in cell vulnerability.
- Authors: Feng LR, Federoff HJ, Vicini S, Maguire-Zeiss KA
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Kinetic measurements give new insights into lipid membrane permeabilization by α-synuclein oligomers.
- Authors: Stöckl M, Claessens MM, Subramaniam V
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Membrane interaction of α-synuclein in different aggregation states.
- Authors: Grey M, Linse S, Nilsson H, Brundin P, Sparr E
- Issue date: 2011