Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor-α Agonist Slows the Progression of Hypertension, Attenuates Plasma
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe anti-inflammatory properties of PPAR-α plays an important role in attenuating hypertension. The current study determines the anti-hypertensive and anti-inflammatory role of PPAR-α agonist during a slow-pressor dose of Ang II (400 ng/kg/min). Ten to twelve week old male PPAR-α KO mice and their WT controls were implanted with telemetry devices and infused with Ang II for 12 days. On day 12 of Ang II infusion, MAP was elevated in PPAR-α KO mice compared to WT (161 ± 4mmHg versus 145 ± 4 mmHg) and fenofibrate (145 mg/kg/day) reduced MAP in WT + Ang II mice (134 ± 7 mmHg). Plasma IL-6 levels were higher in PPAR-α KO mice on day 12 of Ang II infusion (30 ± 4 versus 8 ± 2 pg/mL) and fenofibrate reduced plasma IL-6 in Ang II-treatedWT mice (10±3 pg/mL). Fenofibrate increased renal expression of CYP4A, restored renal CYP2J expression, reduced the elevation in renal ICAM-1,MCP-1 and COX-2 inWT + Ang II mice. Our results demonstrate that activation of PPAR-α attenuates Ang II-induced hypertension through up-regulation of CYP4A and CYP2J and an attenuation of inflammatory markers such as plasma IL-6, renal MCP-1, renal expression of ICAM-1 and COX-2.
CitationPPAR Res. 2012 Jul 16; 2012:645969
- Interleukin 6 knockout prevents angiotensin II hypertension: role of renal vasoconstriction and janus kinase 2/signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 activation.
- Authors: Brands MW, Banes-Berceli AK, Inscho EW, Al-Azawi H, Allen AJ, Labazi H
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- PPAR-α knockout leads to elevated blood pressure response to angiotensin II infusion associated with an increase in renal α-1 Na<sup>+</sup>/K<sup>+</sup> ATPase protein expression and activity.
- Authors: Khundmiri SJ, Ecelbarger CM, Amponsem J, Ji H, Sandberg K, Lee DL
- Issue date: 2022 May 1
- Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-α Activation Decreases Mean Arterial Pressure, Plasma Interleukin-6, and COX-2 While Increasing Renal CYP4A Expression in an Acute Model of DOCA-Salt Hypertension.
- Authors: Lee DL, Wilson JL, Duan R, Hudson T, El-Marakby A
- Issue date: 2011
- PPAR alpha activator fenofibrate inhibits myocardial inflammation and fibrosis in angiotensin II-infused rats.
- Authors: Diep QN, Benkirane K, Amiri F, Cohn JS, Endemann D, Schiffrin EL
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Angiotensin II hypertension is attenuated in interleukin-6 knockout mice.
- Authors: Lee DL, Sturgis LC, Labazi H, Osborne JB Jr, Fleming C, Pollock JS, Manhiani M, Imig JD, Brands MW
- Issue date: 2006 Mar