Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Patients with Stage III Colon Cancer: Results from a CDC-NPCR Patterns of Care Study.
AuthorsCress, Rosemary D
Sabatino, Susan A
Schymura, Maria J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To evaluate adjuvant chemotherapy use for Stage III colon cancer. METHODS: This analysis included 973 patients with surgically treated stage III colon cancer. Socioeconomic information from the 2000 census was linked to patients' residential census tracts. Vital status through 12/31/02 was obtained from medical records and linkage to state vital statistics files and the National Death Index. RESULTS: Adjuvant chemotherapy was received by 67%. Treatment varied by state of residence, with Colorado, Rhode Island and New York residents more likely to receive chemotherapy than Louisiana residents. Older age, increasing comorbidities, divorced/widowed marital status, and residence in lower education areas or non-working class neighborhoods were associated with lower chemotherapy use. Survival varied by state but after adjustment for sex, sociodemographic and health factors, was significantly higher only for California and Rhode Island. Older age and lower educational attainment were associated with lower survival. Chemotherapy was protective for all comorbidity groups. CONCLUSION: Although adjuvant chemotherapy for Stage III colon cancer improves survival, some patients did not receive standard of care, demonstrating the need for cancer treatment surveillance. Interstate differences likely resulted from differences in local practice patterns, acceptance of treatment, and access.
CitationClin Med Oncol. 2009 Nov 24; 3:107-119
- Use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy for colorectal cancer in a population-based cohort.
- Authors: Ayanian JZ, Zaslavsky AM, Fuchs CS, Guadagnoli E, Creech CM, Cress RD, O'Connor LC, West DW, Allen ME, Wolf RE, Wright WE
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 1
- Association between receipt and timing of adjuvant chemotherapy and survival for patients with stage III colon cancer in Alberta, Canada.
- Authors: Lima IS, Yasui Y, Scarfe A, Winget M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 15
- Factors associated with initial treatment and survival for clinically localized prostate cancer: results from the CDC-NPCR Patterns of Care Study (PoC1).
- Authors: Schymura MJ, Kahn AR, German RR, Hsieh MC, Cress RD, Finch JL, Fulton JP, Shen T, Stuckart E
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 19
- Adjuvant chemotherapy use and adverse events among older patients with stage III colon cancer.
- Authors: Kahn KL, Adams JL, Weeks JC, Chrischilles EA, Schrag D, Ayanian JZ, Kiefe CI, Ganz PA, Bhoopalam N, Potosky AL, Harrington DP, Fletcher RH
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 17
- Impact of race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status on adjuvant chemotherapy use among elderly patients with stage III colon cancer.
- Authors: Hsieh MC, Chiu YW, Velasco C, Wu XC, O'Flarity MB, Chen VW
- Issue date: 2013 Winter