Induction of Hemeoxygenase-1 Reduces Renal Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Diabetic Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe renoprotective mechanisms of hemeoxygenase-1 (HO-1) in diabetic nephropathy remain to be investigated. We hypothesize that HO-1 protects the kidney from diabetic insult via lowering renal oxidative stress and inflammation. We used control and diabetic SHR with or without HO-1 inducer cobalt protoporphyrin (CoPP) treatment for 6 weeks. Urinary albumin excretion levels were significantly elevated in diabetic SHR compared to control and CoPP significantly attenuated albumin excretion. Immuno-histochemical analysis revealed an elevation in TGF-b staining together with increased urinary collagen excretion in diabetic versus control SHR, both of which were reduced with CoPP treatment. Renal oxidative stress markers were greater in diabetic SHR and reduced with CoPP treatment. The increase in renal oxidative stress was associated with an elevation in renal inflammation in diabetic SHR. CoPP treatment also significantly attenuated the markers of renal inflammation in diabetic SHR. In vitro inhibition of HO with stannous mesoporphyrin (SnMP) increased glomerular NADPH oxidase activity and inflammation and blocked the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of CoPP. These data suggest that the reduction of renal injury in diabetic SHR upon induction of HO-1 are associated with decreased renal oxidative stress and inflammation, implicating the role of HO-1 induction as a future treatment of diabetic nephropathy.
CitationInt J Hypertens. 2012 Feb 26; 2012:957235
- Induction of hemeoxygenase-1 reduces glomerular injury and apoptosis in diabetic spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Authors: Elmarakby AA, Faulkner J, Baban B, Saleh MA, Sullivan JC
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Induction of hemeoxygenase-1 attenuates the hypertension and renal inflammation in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Authors: Elmarakby AA, Faulkner J, Posey SP, Sullivan JC
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Role of haem oxygenase in the renoprotective effects of soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibition in diabetic spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Authors: Elmarakby AA, Faulkner J, Pye C, Rouch K, Alhashim A, Maddipati KR, Baban B
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Role of heme oxygenase in modulating endothelial function in mesenteric small resistance arteries of spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Authors: Porteri E, Rodella LF, Rezzani R, Rizzoni D, Paiardi S, de Ciuceis C, Boari GE, Foglio E, Favero G, Rizzardi N, Platto C, Agabiti Rosei E
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- The Role of Heme Oxygenase 1 in the Protective Effect of Caloric Restriction against Diabetic Cardiomyopathy.
- Authors: Waldman M, Nudelman V, Shainberg A, Zemel R, Kornwoski R, Aravot D, Peterson SJ, Arad M, Hochhauser E
- Issue date: 2019 May 16