Melanoma Cell Expression of CD200 Inhibits Tumor Formation and Lung Metastasis via Inhibition of Myeloid Cell Functions
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCD200 is a cell surface glycoprotein that functions through engaging CD200 receptor on cells of the myeloid lineage and inhibits their functions. Expression of CD200 has been implicated in a variety of human cancer cells including melanoma cells and has been thought to play a protumor role. To investigate the role of cancer cell expression of CD200 in tumor formation and metastasis, we generated CD200-positive and CD200-negative B16 melanoma cells. Subcutaneous injection of CD200-positive B16 melanoma cells inhibited tumor formation and growth in C57BL/6 mice but not in Rag1-/- C57BL/6 mice. However, i.v. injection of CD200-positive B16 melanoma cells dramatically inhibited tumor foci formation in the lungs of both C57BL/6 and Rag1-/- C57BL6 mice. Flow cytometry analysis revealed higher expression of CD200R in Gr1+ myeloid cells in the lung than in peripheral myeloid cells. Depletion of Gr1+ cells or stimulation of CD200R with an agonistic antibody in vivo dramatically inhibited tumor foci formation in the lungs. In addition, treatment with tumor antigen specific CD4 or CD8 T cells or their combination yielded a survival advantage for CD200 positive tumor bearing mice over mice bearing CD200-negative tumors. Taken together, we have revealed a novel role for CD200-CD200R interaction in inhibiting tumor formation and metastasis. Targeting CD200R may represent a novel approach for cancer immunotherapy.
CitationPLoS One. 2012 Feb 3; 7(2):e31442
- A Critical Role for CD200R Signaling in Limiting the Growth and Metastasis of CD200+ Melanoma.
- Authors: Liu JQ, Talebian F, Wu L, Liu Z, Li MS, Wu L, Zhu J, Markowitz J, Carson WE 3rd, Basu S, Bai XF
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 15
- CD200-CD200R Pathway in the Regulation of Tumor Immune Microenvironment and Immunotherapy.
- Authors: Liu JQ, Hu A, Zhu J, Yu J, Talebian F, Bai XF
- Issue date: 2020
- The pro-tumor effect of CD200 expression is not mimicked by agonistic CD200R antibodies.
- Authors: Pilch Z, Tonecka K, Skorzynski M, Sas Z, Braniewska A, Kryczka T, Boon L, Golab J, Meyaard L, Rygiel TP
- Issue date: 2019
- The role of CD200-CD200R in tumor immune evasion.
- Authors: Liao KL, Bai XF, Friedman A
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 7
- Tumor expression of CD200 inhibits IL-10 production by tumor-associated myeloid cells and prevents tumor immune evasion of CTL therapy.
- Authors: Wang L, Liu JQ, Talebian F, El-Omrani HY, Khattabi M, Yu L, Bai XF
- Issue date: 2010 Sep