hElp3 Directly Modulates the Expression of HSP70 Gene in HeLa Cells via HAT Activity
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman Elongator complex, which plays a key role in transcript elongation in vitro assay, is incredibly similar in either components or function to its yeast counterpart. However, there are only a few studies focusing on its target gene characterization in vivo. We studied the effect of down-regulation of the human elongation protein 3 (hELP3) on the expression of HSP70 through antisense strategy. Transfecting antisense plasmid p1107 into HeLa cells highly suppressed hELP3 expression, and substantially reduced expression of HSP70 mRNA and protein. Furthermore, chromatin immunoprecipitation assay (ChIP Assay) revealed that hElp3 participates in the transcription elongation of HSPA1A in HeLa cells. Finally, complementation and ChIP Assay in yeast showed that hElp3 can not only complement the growth and slow activation of HSP70 (SSA3) gene transcription, but also directly regulates the transcription of SSA3. On the contrary, these functions are lost when the HAT domain is deleted from hElp3. These data suggest that hElp3 can regulate the transcription of HSP70 gene, and the HAT domain of hElp3 is essential for this function. These findings now provide novel insights and evidence of the functions of hELP3 in human cells.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Dec 21; 6(12):e29303
- hELP3 subunit of the Elongator complex regulates the transcription of HSP70 gene in human cells.
- Authors: Han Q, Hou X, Su D, Pan L, Duan J, Cui L, Huang B, Lu J
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- [The elp3 subunit of human elongator complex ignificantly complemented the growth defects of yeast elp3delta strain].
- Authors: Li F, Han QJ, Lu J, Huang BQ
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- [A simple strategy for the rapid selection of effective antisense fragments targeting human genes].
- Authors: Li F, Ma JX, Bai X, Chen BB
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The Elp3 subunit of human Elongator complex is functionally similar to its counterpart in yeast.
- Authors: Li F, Lu J, Han Q, Zhang G, Huang B
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Gcn5- and Elp3-induced histone H3 acetylation regulates hsp70 gene transcription in yeast.
- Authors: Han Q, Lu J, Duan J, Su D, Hou X, Li F, Wang X, Huang B
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 1