Targeted bisulfite sequencing by solution hybrid selection and massively parallel sequencing
Robertson, Keith D.
Colbourne, John K.
Schroth, Gary P.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe applied a solution hybrid selection approach to the enrichment of CpG islands (CGIs) and promoter sequences from the human genome for targeted high-throughput bisulfite sequencing. A single lane of Illumina sequences allowed accurate and quantitative analysis of ~1 million CpGs in more than 21â 408 CGIs and more than 15â 946 transcriptional regulatory regions. Of the CpGs analyzed, 77â 84% fell on or near capture probe sequences; 69â 75% fell within CGIs. More than 85% of capture probes successfully yielded quantitative DNA methylation information of targeted regions. Differentially methylated regions (DMRs) were identified in the 5â ²-end regulatory regions, as well as the intra- and intergenic regions, particularly in the X-chromosome among the three breast cancer cell lines analyzed. We chose 46 candidate loci (762 CpGs) for confirmation with PCR-based bisulfite sequencing and demonstrated excellent correlation between two data sets. Targeted bisulfite sequencing of three DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) knockout cell lines and the wild-type HCT116 colon cancer cell line revealed a significant decrease in CpG methylation for the DNMT1 knockout and DNMT1, 3B double knockout cell lines, but not in DNMT3B knockout cell line. We demonstrated the targeted bisulfite sequencing approach to be a powerful method to uncover novel aberrant methylation in the cancer epigenome. Since all targets were captured and sequenced as a pool through a series of single-tube reactions, this method can be easily scaled up to deal with a large number of samples.
CitationNucleic Acids Res. 2011 Oct 23; 39(19):e127
- High definition profiling of mammalian DNA methylation by array capture and single molecule bisulfite sequencing.
- Authors: Hodges E, Smith AD, Kendall J, Xuan Z, Ravi K, Rooks M, Zhang MQ, Ye K, Bhattacharjee A, Brizuela L, McCombie WR, Wigler M, Hannon GJ, Hicks JB
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Quantitative and multiplexed DNA methylation analysis using long-read single-molecule real-time bisulfite sequencing (SMRT-BS).
- Authors: Yang Y, Sebra R, Pullman BS, Qiao W, Peter I, Desnick RJ, Geyer CR, DeCoteau JF, Scott SA
- Issue date: 2015 May 6
- CpG_MPs: identification of CpG methylation patterns of genomic regions from high-throughput bisulfite sequencing data.
- Authors: Su J, Yan H, Wei Y, Liu H, Liu H, Wang F, Lv J, Wu Q, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 7
- Identification of differentially methylated regions using streptavidin bisulfite ligand methylation enrichment (SuBLiME), a new method to enrich for methylated DNA prior to deep bisulfite genomic sequencing.
- Authors: Ross JP, Shaw JM, Molloy PL
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Genome-wide DNA methylation profiling using Infinium® assay.
- Authors: Bibikova M, Le J, Barnes B, Saedinia-Melnyk S, Zhou L, Shen R, Gunderson KL
- Issue date: 2009 Oct