Cardiometabolic Biomarkers in Young Black Girls: Relations to Body Fatness and Aerobic Fitness, and Effects of a Randomized Physical Activity Trial
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is little evidence from randomized trials showing that physical activity alone influences biomarker profiles in youths. This study tested two hypotheses: (i) that elevated body fatness and poor fitness would be associated with unfavorable levels of cardiometabolic biomarkers in 8- 12-y-old black girls (n = 242) and (ii) that a 10-mo PA intervention would have favorable effects on the fatness-related cardiometabolic biomarkers. At baseline, all fatness indices (i.e., percent body fat, visceral adipose tissue, BMI, and waist circumference) were significantly (P < 0.05) associated with unfavorable levels of insulin, glucose, systolic BP, diastolic BP, triglycerides, C-reactive protein (CRP), and fibrinogen. Aerobic fitness was significantly (P < 0.05) associated with favorable levels of insulin, CRP, fibrinogen, and HDL2. The PA intervention had significant and favorable effects on fitness, fatness, and two biomarkersâ resting heart rate and LDL cholesterol. More research is needed to clarify what types of interventions can enhance the cardiometabolic health of youths.
CitationInt J Pediatr. 2011 Oct 11; 2011:219268
- Independent and Interactive Associations of Fitness and Fatness With Changes in Cardiometabolic Risk in Children: A Longitudinal Analysis.
- Authors: Shang X, Li Y, Xu H, Zhang Q, Hu X, Liu A, Du S, Li T, Guo H, Li Y, Xu G, Liu W, Ma J, Ma G
- Issue date: 2020
- Fatness, fitness, and cardiometabolic risk factors among sixth-grade youth.
- Authors: Jago R, Drews KL, McMurray RG, Thompson D, Volpe SL, Moe EL, Jakicic JM, Pham TH, Bruecker S, Blackshear TB, Yin Z
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Combined Association of Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Body Fatness With Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Older Norwegian Adults: The Generation 100 Study.
- Authors: Sandbakk SB, Nauman J, Lavie CJ, Wisløff U, Stensvold D
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Effects of the Active Smarter Kids (ASK) physical activity intervention on cardiometabolic risk factors in children: A cluster-randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Stavnsbo M, Aadland E, Anderssen SA, Chinapaw M, Steene-Johannessen J, Andersen LB, Resaland GK
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Effects of high-intensity interval training and nutrition advice on cardiometabolic markers and aerobic fitness in adolescent girls with obesity.
- Authors: Plavsic L, Knezevic OM, Sovtic A, Minic P, Vukovic R, Mazibrada I, Stanojlovic O, Hrncic D, Rasic-Markovic A, Macut D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar