Carcinomatous Meningitis: The Natural History of Successfully Treated Metastatic Bladder Cancer
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCarcinomatous meningitis due to bladder cancer is a rare entity reported only in case reports. Optimal therapy is thus poorly defined with earlier cases reporting an unsuccessful outcome. Here we report a case of late carcinomatous meningitis secondary to transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the bladder occurring in a patient in complete remission. He was successfully treated with intrathecal methotrexate and whole brain irradiation and experienced prolonged survival after treatment. With modern chemotherapy increasing complete remissions and survival rates in patients with TCC, more and more patients are being reported with carcinomatous meningitis. We raise the question of whether central nervous system prophylaxis should be considered in patients with TCC achieving a complete remission to chemotherapy in the metastatic setting.
Key words: Carcinomatous meningitis
CitationCase Rep Oncol. 2011 Aug 24; 4(2):406-412
- [A case of carcinomatous meningitis from transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder].
- Authors: Hara Y, Kobayashi Y, Goto K, Tozuka K, Tokue A, Mochizuki M
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Carcinomatous meningitis in a patient with Her2/neu expressing bladder cancer following trastuzumab and chemotherapy: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Goodman OB, Milowsky MI, Kaplan J, Hussain M, Nanus DM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 15
- Intrathecal Methotrexate and Craniospinal Radiotherapy Can Be an Effective Treatment of Carcinomatous Meningitis in Patients with Breast Cancer: Case Reports.
- Authors: Meissner M, Addeo A
- Issue date: 2016 Sep-Dec
- Combination chemotherapy of cisplatin, methotrexate, vinblastine, and high-dose tamoxifen for transitional cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Hsu CH, Chen J, Wu CY, Cheng AL, Pu YS
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb
- Carcinomatous meningitis from transitional cell carcinoma of bladder.
- Authors: Mandell S, Wernz J, Morales P, Weinberg H, Steinfeld A
- Issue date: 1985 May