Vascular Protection by Angiotensin Receptor Antagonism Involves Differential VEGF Expression in Both Hemispheres after Experimental Stroke
Somanath, Payaningal R.
El-Remessy, Azza B.
Johnson, Maribeth H.
Fagan, Susan C.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe identified that the angiotensin receptor antagonist, candesartan, has profound neurovascular protective properties when administered after ischemic stroke and was associated with a proangiogenic state at least partly explained by vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGFA). However, the spatial distribution of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms and their receptors remained unknown. Protein analysis identified a significant increase in vascular endothelial grow factor B (VEGFB) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and the ischemic hemispheres (with increased VEGF receptor 1 activation) of treated animals (p<0.05) which was co-occurring with an increase in protein kinase B (Akt) phosphorylation (p<0.05). An increase in VEGFA protein in the contralesional hemisphere corresponded to a significant increase in vascular density at seven days (p<0.01) after stroke onset
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Sep 1; 6(9):e24551
- Candesartan induces a prolonged proangiogenic effect and augments endothelium-mediated neuroprotection after oxygen and glucose deprivation: role of vascular endothelial growth factors A and B.
- Authors: Soliman S, Ishrat T, Pillai A, Somanath PR, Ergul A, El-Remessy AB, Fagan SC
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Neuropilin-1 modulates vascular endothelial growth factor-induced poly(ADP-ribose)-polymerase leading to reduced cerebrovascular apoptosis.
- Authors: Mey L, Hörmann M, Schleicher N, Reuter P, Dönges S, Kinscherf R, Gassmann M, Gerriets T, Al-Fakhri N
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- A novel vasculo-angiogenic effect of cilostazol mediated by cross-talk between multiple signalling pathways including the ERK/p38 MAPK signalling transduction cascade.
- Authors: Chao TH, Tseng SY, Li YH, Liu PY, Cho CL, Shi GY, Wu HL, Chen JH
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 1
- I.c.v administration of an endothelin ET(B) receptor agonist stimulates vascular endothelial growth factor-A production and activates vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in rat brain.
- Authors: Koyama Y, Nagae R, Tokuyama S, Tanaka K
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 29
- Correlation of VEGF and angiopoietin expression with disruption of blood-brain barrier and angiogenesis after focal cerebral ischemia.
- Authors: Zhang ZG, Zhang L, Tsang W, Soltanian-Zadeh H, Morris D, Zhang R, Goussev A, Powers C, Yeich T, Chopp M
- Issue date: 2002 Apr