Effect of neutrophil depletion on gelatinase expression, edema formation and hemorrhagic transformation after focal ischemic stroke.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: While gelatinase (MMP-2 and -9) activity is increased after focal ischemia/reperfusion injury in the brain, the relative contribution of neutrophils to the MMP activity and to the development of hemorrhagic transformation remains unknown. RESULTS: Anti-PMN treatment caused successful depletion of neutrophils in treated animals. There was no difference in either infarct volume or hemorrhage between control and PMN depleted animals. While there were significant increases in gelatinase (MMP-2 and MMP-9) expression and activity and edema formation associated with ischemia, neutrophil depletion failed to cause any change. CONCLUSION: The main finding of this study is that, in the absence of circulating neutrophils, MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression and activity are still up-regulated following focal cerebral ischemia. Additionally, neutrophil depletion had no influence on indicators of ischemic brain damage including edema, hemorrhage, and infarct size. These findings indicate that, at least acutely, neutrophils are not a significant contributor of gelatinase activity associated with acute neurovascular damage after stroke.
CitationBMC Neurosci. 2005 Aug 3; 6:49
- Microglial cell activation is a source of metalloproteinase generation during hemorrhagic transformation.
- Authors: del Zoppo GJ, Frankowski H, Gu YH, Osada T, Kanazawa M, Milner R, Wang X, Hosomi N, Mabuchi T, Koziol JA
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Neutrophil infiltration increases matrix metalloproteinase-9 in the ischemic brain after occlusion/reperfusion of the middle cerebral artery in rats.
- Authors: Justicia C, Panés J, Solé S, Cervera A, Deulofeu R, Chamorro A, Planas AM
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha neutralization reduced cerebral edema through inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase production after transient focal cerebral ischemia.
- Authors: Hosomi N, Ban CR, Naya T, Takahashi T, Guo P, Song XY, Kohno M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Reduced brain edema and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) expression by pre-reperfusion infusion into ischemic territory in rat.
- Authors: Ding YH, Li J, Rafols JA, Ding Y
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 30
- Increased brain expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 after ischemic and hemorrhagic human stroke.
- Authors: Rosell A, Ortega-Aznar A, Alvarez-Sabín J, Fernández-Cadenas I, Ribó M, Molina CA, Lo EH, Montaner J
- Issue date: 2006 Jun