Modulation of Dnmt3b function in vitro by interactions with Dnmt3L, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b splice variants
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA methylation, an essential regulator of transcription and chromatin structure, is established and maintained by the coordinated action of three DNA methyltransferases: DNMT1, DNMT3A and DNMT3B, and the inactive accessory factor DNMT3L. Disruptions in DNMT3B function are linked to carcinogenesis and genetic disease. DNMT3B is also highly alternatively spliced in a tissue- and disease-specific manner. The impact of intra-DNMT3 interactions and alternative splicing on the function of DNMT3 family members remains unclear. In the present work, we focused on DNMT3B. Using a panel of in vitro assays, we examined the consequences of DNMT3B splicing and mutations on its ability to bind DNA, interact with itself and other DNMT3's, and methylate DNA. Our results show that, while the C-terminal catalytic domain is critical for most DNMT3B functions, parts of the N-terminal region, including the PWWP domain, are also important. Alternative splicing and domain deletions also influence DNMT3Bâ s cellular localization. Furthermore, our data reveal the existence of extensive DNMT3B self-interactions that differentially impact on its activity. Finally, we show that catalytically inactive isoforms of DNMT3B are capable of modulating the activity of DNMT3Aâ DNMT3L complexes. Our studies therefore suggest that seemingly â inactiveâ DNMT3B isoforms may influence genomic methylation patterns in vivo.
CitationNucleic Acids Res. 2011 Jul 4; 39(12):4984-5002
- Interactions within the mammalian DNA methyltransferase family.
- Authors: Margot JB, Ehrenhofer-Murray AE, Leonhardt H
- Issue date: 2003 May 30
- Regulation of DNA methylation activity through Dnmt3L promoter methylation by Dnmt3 enzymes in embryonic development.
- Authors: Hu YG, Hirasawa R, Hu JL, Hata K, Li CL, Jin Y, Chen T, Li E, Rigolet M, Viegas-Péquignot E, Sasaki H, Xu GL
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 1
- The PWWP domain of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b is required for directing DNA methylation to the major satellite repeats at pericentric heterochromatin.
- Authors: Chen T, Tsujimoto N, Li E
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Physical and functional interactions between the human DNMT3L protein and members of the de novo methyltransferase family.
- Authors: Chen ZX, Mann JR, Hsieh CL, Riggs AD, Chédin F
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- A novel DNMT3B splice variant expressed in tumor and pluripotent cells modulates genomic DNA methylation patterns and displays altered DNA binding.
- Authors: Gopalakrishnan S, Van Emburgh BO, Shan J, Su Z, Fields CR, Vieweg J, Hamazaki T, Schwartz PH, Terada N, Robertson KD
- Issue date: 2009 Oct