NMDA Receptors Are Not Required for Pattern Completion During Associative Memory Recall
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPattern completion, the ability to retrieve complete memories initiated by subsets of external cues, has been a major focus of many computation models. A previously study reports that such pattern completion requires NMDA receptors in the hippocampus. However, such a claim was derived from a non-inducible gene knockout experiment in which the NMDA receptors were absent throughout all stages of memory processes as well as animal's adult life. This raises the critical question regarding whether the previously described results were truly resulting from the requirement of the NMDA receptors in retrieval. Here, we have examined the role of the NMDA receptors in pattern completion via inducible knockout of NMDA receptors limited to the memory retrieval stage. By using two independent mouse lines, we found that inducible knockout mice, lacking NMDA receptor in either forebrain or hippocampus CA1 region at the time of memory retrieval, exhibited normal recall of associative spatial reference memory regardless of whether retrievals took place under full-cue or partial-cue conditions. Moreover, systemic antagonism of NMDA receptor during retention tests also had no effect on full-cue or partial-cue recall of spatial water maze memories. Thus, both genetic and pharmacological experiments collectively demonstrate that pattern completion during spatial associative memory recall does not require the NMDA receptor in the hippocampus or forebrain.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Apr 29; 6(4):e19326
- Requirement for hippocampal CA3 NMDA receptors in associative memory recall.
- Authors: Nakazawa K, Quirk MC, Chitwood RA, Watanabe M, Yeckel MF, Sun LD, Kato A, Carr CA, Johnston D, Wilson MA, Tonegawa S
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 12
- Pharmacological intervention of hippocampal CA3 NMDA receptors impairs acquisition and long-term memory retrieval of spatial pattern completion task.
- Authors: Fellini L, Florian C, Courtey J, Roullet P
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Impaired sequential egocentric and allocentric memories in forebrain-specific-NMDA receptor knock-out mice during a new task dissociating strategies of navigation.
- Authors: Rondi-Reig L, Petit GH, Tobin C, Tonegawa S, Mariani J, Berthoz A
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 12
- Mapping and deciphering neural codes of NMDA receptor-dependent fear memory engrams in the hippocampus.
- Authors: Zhang H, Chen G, Kuang H, Tsien JZ
- Issue date: 2013
- Hippocampal activation during the recall of remote spatial memories in radial maze tasks.
- Authors: Schlesiger MI, Cressey JC, Boublil B, Koenig J, Melvin NR, Leutgeb JK, Leutgeb S
- Issue date: 2013 Nov