Genetic Variation of the Serotonin 2a Receptor Affects Hippocampal Novelty Processing in Humans
AuthorsSchott, Bjorn H.
Seidenbecher, Constanze I.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSerotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) is an important neuromodulator in learning and memory processes. A functional genetic polymorphism of the 5-HT 2a receptor (5-HTR2a His452Tyr), which leads to blunted intracellular signaling, has previously been associated with explicit memory performance in several independent cohorts, but the underlying neural mechanisms are thus far unclear. The human hippocampus plays a critical role in memory, particularly in the detection and encoding of novel information. Here we investigated the relationship of 5-HTR2a His452Tyr and hippocampal novelty processing in 41 young, healthy subjects using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Participants performed a novelty/familiarity task with complex scene stimuli, which was followed by a delayed recognition memory test 24 hours later. Compared to His homozygotes, Tyr carriers exhibited a diminished hippocampal response to novel stimuli and a higher tendency to judge novel stimuli as familiar during delayed recognition. Across the cohort, the false alarm rate during delayed recognition correlated negatively with the hippocampal novelty response. Our results suggest that previously reported effects of 5-HTR2a on explicit memory performance may, at least in part, be mediated by alterations of hippocampal novelty processing.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Jan 18; 6(1):e15984
- Age-dependent effects of the 5-hydroxytryptamine-2a-receptor polymorphism (His452Tyr) on human memory.
- Authors: Papassotiropoulos A, Henke K, Aerni A, Coluccia D, Garcia E, Wollmer MA, Huynh KD, Monsch AU, Stähelin HB, Hock C, Nitsch RM, de Quervain DJ
- Issue date: 2005 May 31
- Influence of serotonin receptor 2A His452Tyr polymorphism on brain temporal structures: a volumetric MR study.
- Authors: Filippini N, Scassellati C, Boccardi M, Pievani M, Testa C, Bocchio-Chiavetto L, Frisoni GB, Gennarelli M
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- The His452Tyr variant of the gene encoding the 5-HT2A receptor is specifically associated with consolidation of episodic memory in humans.
- Authors: Wagner M, Schuhmacher A, Schwab S, Zobel A, Maier W
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Fine-mapping at the HTR2A locus reveals multiple episodic memory-related variants.
- Authors: Sigmund JC, Vogler C, Huynh KD, de Quervain DJ, Papassotiropoulos A
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Mechanisms supporting superior source memory for familiar items: a multi-voxel pattern analysis study.
- Authors: Poppenk J, Norman KA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov