Temporal Dynamics of Distinct CA1 Cell Populations during Unconscious State Induced by Ketamine
AbstractKetamine is a widely used dissociative anesthetic which can induce some psychotic-like symptoms and memory deficits in some patients during the post-operative period. To understand its effects on neural population dynamics in the brain, we employed large-scale in vivo ensemble recording techniques to monitor the activity patterns of simultaneously recorded hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cells and various interneurons during several conscious and unconscious states such as awake rest, running, slow wave sleep, and ketamine-induced anesthesia. Our analyses reveal that ketamine induces distinct oscillatory dynamics not only in pyramidal cells but also in at least seven different types of CA1 interneurons including putative basket cells, chandelier cells, bistratified cells, and O-LM cells. These emergent unique oscillatory dynamics may very well reflect the intrinsic temporal relationships within the CA1 circuit. It is conceivable that systematic characterization of network dynamics may eventually lead to better understanding of how ketamine induces unconsciousness and consequently alters the conscious mind.
CitationPLoS One. 2010 Dec 8; 5(12):e15209
- Sharp wave-associated high-frequency oscillation (200 Hz) in the intact hippocampus: network and intracellular mechanisms.
- Authors: Ylinen A, Bragin A, Nádasdy Z, Jandó G, Szabó I, Sik A, Buzsáki G
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Distinct retrosplenial cortex cell populations and their spike dynamics during ketamine-induced unconscious state.
- Authors: Fox GE, Li M, Zhao F, Tsien JZ
- Issue date: 2017
- Cholecystokinin-immunopositive basket and Schaffer collateral-associated interneurones target different domains of pyramidal cells in the CA1 area of the rat hippocampus.
- Authors: Cope DW, Maccaferri G, Márton LF, Roberts JD, Cobden PM, Somogyi P
- Issue date: 2002
- Simultaneous activation of gamma and theta network oscillations in rat hippocampal slice cultures.
- Authors: Fischer Y, Wittner L, Freund TF, Gähwiler BH
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 15
- Brain-state- and cell-type-specific firing of hippocampal interneurons in vivo.
- Authors: Klausberger T, Magill PJ, Márton LF, Roberts JD, Cobden PM, Buzsáki G, Somogyi P
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 20