Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Adipogenic Reduction by Prohibitin Silencing in 3T3-L1 Cells
Chen, Yuqing Eugene
Thompson, Winston E.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIncrease in mitochondrial biogenesis has been shown to accompany brown and white adipose cell differentiation. Prohibitins (PHBs), comprised of two evolutionarily conserved proteins, prohibitin-1 (PHB1) and prohibitin-2 (PHB2), are present in a high molecular-weight complex in the inner membrane of mitochondria. However, little is known about the effect of mitochondrial PHBs in adipogenesis. In the present study, we demonstrate that the levels of both PHB1 and PHB2 are significantly increased during adipogenesis of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes, especially in mitochondria. Knockdown of PHB1 or PHB2 by oligonucleotide siRNA significantly reduced the expression of adipogenic markers, the accumulation of lipids and the phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases. In addition, fragmentation of mitochondrial reticulum, loss of mitochondrial cristae, reduction of mitochondrial content, impairment of mitochondrial complex I activity and excessive production of ROS were observed upon PHB-silencing in 3T3-L1 cells. Our results suggest that PHBs are critical mediators in promoting 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation and may be the potential targets for obesity therapies.
CitationPLoS One. 2012 Mar 30; 7(3):e34315
- Knocking down Stard3 decreases adipogenesis with decreased mitochondrial ROS in 3T3-L1 cells.
- Authors: Zhou X, Gao H, Guo Y, Chen Y, Ruan XZ
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 2
- The PHB1/2 phosphocomplex is required for mitochondrial homeostasis and survival of human T cells.
- Authors: Ross JA, Nagy ZS, Kirken RA
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 22
- Extracellular redox environments regulate adipocyte differentiation.
- Authors: Imhoff BR, Hansen JM
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Inhibitory effect of p53 on mitochondrial content and function during adipogenesis.
- Authors: Okita N, Ishikawa N, Mizunoe Y, Oku M, Nagai W, Suzuki Y, Matsushima S, Mikami K, Okado H, Sasaki T, Higami Y
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 28
- Deficiency of PHB complex impairs respiratory supercomplex formation and activates mitochondrial flashes.
- Authors: Jian C, Xu F, Hou T, Sun T, Li J, Cheng H, Wang X
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1