The Role of Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Autoimmune-Mediated Beta-Cell Destruction in Type 1 Diabetes
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnlike type 2 diabetes which is caused by the loss of insulin sensitivity, type 1 diabetes (T1D) is manifested by the absolute deficiency of insulin secretion due to the loss of Î² mass by autoimmune response against Î²-cell self-antigens. Although significant advancement has been made in understanding the pathoetiology for type 1 diabetes, the exact mechanisms underlying autoimmune-mediated Î²-cell destruction, however, are yet to be fully addressed. Accumulated evidence demonstrates that endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress plays an essential role in autoimmune-mediated Î²-cell destruction. There is also evidence supporting that ER stress regulates the functionality of immune cells relevant to autoimmune progression during T1D development. In this paper, we intend to address the role of ER stress in autoimmune-mediated Î²-cell destruction during the course of type 1 diabetes. The potential implication of ER stress in modulating autoimmune response will be also discussed. We will further dissect the possible pathways implicated in the induction of ER stress and summarize the potential mechanisms underlying ER stress for mediation of Î²-cell destruction. A better understanding of the role for ER stress in T1D pathoetiology would have great potential aimed at developing effective therapeutic approaches for the prevention/intervention of this devastating disorder.
CitationExp Diabetes Res. 2012 Feb 14; 2012:238980
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress and destruction of pancreatic β cells in type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Cao ZH, Wu Z, Hu C, Zhang M, Wang WZ, Hu XB
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 5
- Unraveling the contribution of pancreatic beta-cell suicide in autoimmune type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Jaberi-Douraki M, Schnell S, Pietropaolo M, Khadra A
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 21
- An accomplice more than a mere victim: The impact of β-cell ER stress on type 1 diabetes pathogenesis.
- Authors: Sahin GS, Lee H, Engin F
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- Inherent ER stress in pancreatic islet β cells causes self-recognition by autoreactive T cells in type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Marré ML, Profozich JL, Coneybeer JT, Geng X, Bertera S, Ford MJ, Trucco M, Piganelli JD
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Endoplasmic Reticulum-Mitochondria Crosstalk and Beta-Cell Destruction in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Authors: Vig S, Lambooij JM, Zaldumbide A, Guigas B
- Issue date: 2021