Human Platelet-Rich Plasma- and Extracellular Matrix-Derived Peptides Promote Impaired Cutaneous Wound Healing In Vivo
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious work in our laboratory has described several pro-angiogenic short peptides derived from endothelial extracellular matrices degraded by bacterial collagenase. Here we tested whether these peptides could stimulate wound healing in vivo. Our experiments demonstrated that a peptide created as combination of fragments of tenascin X and fibrillin 1 (comb1) applied into cranial dermal wounds created in mice treated with cyclophosphamide to impair wound healing, can improve the rate of wound closure. Furthermore, we identify and characterize a novel peptide (UN3) created and modified from two naturally-occurring peptides, which are present in human platelet-rich plasma. In vitro testing of UN3 demonstrates that it causes a 50% increase in endothelial proliferation, 250% increase in angiogenic response and a tripling of epithelial cell migration in response to injury.
CitationPLoS One. 2012 Feb 23; 7(2):e32146
- Matrix- and plasma-derived peptides promote tissue-specific injury responses and wound healing in diabetic swine.
- Authors: Sheets AR, Massey CJ, Cronk SM, Iafrati MD, Herman IM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 2
- Identification and Characterization of Novel Matrix-Derived Bioactive Peptides: A Role for Collagenase from Santyl® Ointment in Post-Debridement Wound Healing?
- Authors: Sheets AR, Demidova-Rice TN, Shi L, Ronfard V, Grover KV, Herman IM
- Issue date: 2016
- Enhanced fibrillin-2 expression is a general feature of wound healing and sclerosis: potential alteration of cell attachment and storage of TGF-beta.
- Authors: Brinckmann J, Hunzelmann N, Kahle B, Rohwedel J, Kramer J, Gibson MA, Hubmacher D, Reinhardt DP
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Extracellular matrix-derived products modulate endothelial and progenitor cell migration and proliferation in vitro and stimulate regenerative healing in vivo.
- Authors: Vorotnikova E, McIntosh D, Dewilde A, Zhang J, Reing JE, Zhang L, Cordero K, Bedelbaeva K, Gourevitch D, Heber-Katz E, Badylak SF, Braunhut SJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Bioactive peptides derived from vascular endothelial cell extracellular matrices promote microvascular morphogenesis and wound healing in vitro.
- Authors: Demidova-Rice TN, Geevarghese A, Herman IM
- Issue date: 2011 Jan-Feb