VPS35 haploinsufficiency increases Alzheimerâ s disease neuropathology
Brann, Darrell W
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVPS35, a major component of the retromer complex, is important for endosome-to-Golgi retrieval of membrane proteins. Although implicated in Alzheimerâ s disease (AD), how VPS35 regulates AD-associated pathology is unknown. In this paper, we show that hemizygous deletion of Vps35 in the Tg2576 mouse model of AD led to earlier-onset AD-like phenotypes, including cognitive memory deficits, defective long-term potentiation, and impaired postsynaptic glutamatergic neurotransmission in young adult age. These deficits correlated well with an increase of Î²-amyloid peptide (AÎ²) level in the mutant hippocampus. We further demonstrate that VPS35 is predominantly expressed in pyramidal neurons of young adult hippocampus and interacts with BACE1, a protease responsible for AÎ² production. Loss of VPS35 function in the mouse hippocampus increased BACE1 activity. Suppression of VPS35 expression in culture decreased BACE1 trans-Golgi localization but enriched it in endosomes. These results demonstrate an essential role for VPS35 in suppression of AD neuropathology and in inhibition of BACE1 activation and AÎ² production by promoting BACE1 endosome-to-Golgi retrieval.
CitationJ Cell Biol. 2011 Nov 28; 195(5):765-779
- The location and trafficking routes of the neuronal retromer and its role in amyloid precursor protein transport.
- Authors: Bhalla A, Vetanovetz CP, Morel E, Chamoun Z, Di Paolo G, Small SA
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Regulation of Synaptic Amyloid-β Generation through BACE1 Retrograde Transport in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Ye X, Feng T, Tammineni P, Chang Q, Jeong YY, Margolis DJ, Cai H, Kusnecov A, Cai Q
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 8
- Β-site APP-cleaving enzyme 1 trafficking and Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis.
- Authors: Tan J, Evin G
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Swedish mutant APP-based BACE1 binding site peptide reduces APP β-cleavage and cerebral Aβ levels in Alzheimer's mice.
- Authors: Li S, Hou H, Mori T, Sawmiller D, Smith A, Tian J, Wang Y, Giunta B, Sanberg PR, Zhang S, Tan J
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 19
- A combination Alzheimer's therapy targeting BACE1 and neprilysin in 5XFAD transgenic mice.
- Authors: Devi L, Ohno M
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 25