Genetic Ablation of PLA2G6 in Mice Leads to Cerebellar Atrophy Characterized by Purkinje Cell Loss and Glial Cell Activation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInfantile neuroaxonal dystrophy (INAD) is a progressive, autosomal recessive neurodegenerative disease characterized by axonal dystrophy, abnormal iron deposition and cerebellar atrophy. This disease was recently mapped to PLA2G6, which encodes group VI Ca2+-independent phospholipase A2 (iPLA2 or iPLA2b). Here we show that genetic ablation of PLA2G6 in mice (iPLA2b-/-) leads to the development of cerebellar atrophy by the age of 13 months. Atrophied cerebella exhibited significant loss of Purkinje cells, as well as reactive astrogliosis, the activation of microglial cells, and the pronounced upregulation of the pro-inflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) and interleukin-1b (IL-1b). Moreover, glial cell activation and the elevation in TNF-a and IL-1b expression occurred before apparent cerebellar atrophy. Our findings indicate that the absence of PLA2G6 causes neuroinflammation and Purkinje cell loss and ultimately leads to cerebellar atrophy. Our study suggests that iPLA2b-/- mice are a valuable model for cerebellar atrophy in INAD and that early antiinflammatory therapy may help slow the progression of cerebellar atrophy in this deadly neurodegenerative disease.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Oct 28; 6(10):e26991
- Fast Progression of Cerebellar Atrophy in PLA2G6-Associated Infantile Neuronal Axonal Dystrophy.
- Authors: Mascalchi M, Mari F, Berti B, Bartolini E, Lenge M, Bianchi A, Antonucci L, Santorelli FM, Garavaglia B, Guerrini R
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Disrupted membrane homeostasis and accumulation of ubiquitinated proteins in a mouse model of infantile neuroaxonal dystrophy caused by PLA2G6 mutations.
- Authors: Malik I, Turk J, Mancuso DJ, Montier L, Wohltmann M, Wozniak DF, Schmidt RE, Gross RW, Kotzbauer PT
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Mouse models of human INAD by Pla2g6 deficiency.
- Authors: Wada H, Kojo S, Seino K
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Cerebellar atrophy without cerebellar cortex hyperintensity in infantile neuroaxonal dystrophy (INAD) due to PLA2G6 mutation.
- Authors: Biancheri R, Rossi A, Alpigiani G, Filocamo M, Gandolfo C, Lorini R, Minetti C
- Issue date: 2007 May
- A new PLA2G6 mutation in a family with infantile neuroaxonal dystrophy.
- Authors: Iannello G, Graziano C, Cenacchi G, Cordelli DM, Zuntini R, Papa V, Magistà AM, Gagliardi M, Procopio R, Quattrone A, Annesi G
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 15