Myostatin Is Elevated in Congenital Heart Disease and After Mechanical Unloading
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Myostatin is a negative regulator of skeletal muscle mass whose activity is upregulated in adult heart failure (HF); however, its role in congenital heart disease (CHD) is unknown.
Methods: We studied myostatin and IGF-1 expression via Western blot in cardiac tissue at varying degrees of myocardial dysfunction and after biventricular support in CHD by collecting myocardial biopsies from four patient cohorts: A) adult subjects with no known cardiopulmonary disease (left ventricle, LV), (Adult Normal), (n = 5); B) pediatric subjects undergoing congenital cardiac surgery with normal RV size and function (right ventricular outflow tract, RVOT), (n = 3); C) pediatric subjects with worsening but hemodynamically stable LV failure [LV and right ventricle (LV, RV,)] with biopsy collected at the time of orthotopic heart transplant (OHT), (n = 7); and D) pediatric subjects with decompensated bi-ventricular failure on BiVAD support with biopsy collected at OHT (LV, RV, BiVAD), (n = 3).
Results: The duration of HF was longest in OHT patients compared to BIVAD. The duration of BiVAD support was 4.361.9 days. Myostatin expression was significantly increased in LV-OHT compared to RV-OHT and RVOT, and was increased more than double in decompensated biventricular HF (BiVAD) compared to both OHT and RVOT. An increased myostatin/IGF-1 ratio was associated with ventricular dysfunction.
Conclusions: Myostatin expression in increased in CHD, and the myostatin/IGF-1 ratio increases as ventricular function deteriorates. Future investigation is necessary to determine if restoration of the physiologic myostatin/IGF-1 ratio has therapeutic potential in HF.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Sep 13; 6(9):e23818
- Biventricular assist device-induced right ventricular reverse structural and functional remodeling.
- Authors: Klotz S, Naka Y, Oz MC, Burkhoff D
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Myostatin activation in patients with advanced heart failure and after mechanical unloading.
- Authors: George I, Bish LT, Kamalakkannan G, Petrilli CM, Oz MC, Naka Y, Sweeney HL, Maybaum S
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Myostatin and IGF-I signaling in end-stage human heart failure: a qRT-PCR study.
- Authors: Baán JA, Varga ZV, Leszek P, Kuśmierczyk M, Baranyai T, Dux L, Ferdinandy P, Braun T, Mendler L
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 16
- Mechanical cardiac support in children with congenital heart disease with intention to bridge to heart transplantation†.
- Authors: De Rita F, Hasan A, Haynes S, Crossland D, Kirk R, Ferguson L, Peng E, Griselli M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Outcome of unplanned right ventricular assist device support for severe right heart failure after implantable left ventricular assist device insertion.
- Authors: Takeda K, Naka Y, Yang JA, Uriel N, Colombo PC, Jorde UP, Takayama H
- Issue date: 2014 Feb