The role of sulfoglucuronosyl glycosphingolipids in the pathogenesis of monoclonal IgM paraproteinemia and peripheral neuropathy
AbstractIn IgM paraproteinemia and peripheral neuropathy, IgM M-protein secretion by B cells leads to a T helper cell response, suggesting that it is antibody-mediated autoimmune disease involving carbohydrate epitopes in myelin sheaths. An immune response against sulfoglucuronosyl glycosphingolipids (SGGLs) is presumed to participate in demyelination or axonal degeneration in the peripheral nervous system (PNS). SGGLs contain a 3-sulfoglucuronic acid residue that interacts with anti-myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG) and the monoclonal antibody anti-HNK-1. Immunization of animals with sulfoglucuronosyl paragloboside (SGPG) induced anti-SGPG antibodies and sensory neuropathy, which closely resembles the human disease. These animal models might help to understand the disease mechanism and lead to more specific therapeutic strategies. In an in vitro study, destruction or malfunction of the blood-nerve barrier (BNB) was found, resulting in the leakage of circulating antibodies into the PNS parenchyma, which may be considered as the initial key step for development of disease.
CitationProc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci. 2011 Jul 25; 87(7):386-404
- The role of glycosphingolipids in neurological disorders. Mechanisms of immune action.
- Authors: Yu RK, Ariga T
- Issue date: 1998 Jun 19
- Variability in the binding of anti-MAG and anti-SGPG antibodies to target antigens in demyelinating neuropathy and IgM paraproteinemia.
- Authors: Weiss MD, Dalakas MC, Lauter CJ, Willison HJ, Quarles RH
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 1
- Generation and characterization of anti-sulfoglucuronosyl paragloboside monoclonal antibody NGR50 and its immunoreactivity with peripheral nerve.
- Authors: Yamawaki M, Ariga T, Bigbee JW, Ozawa H, Kawashima I, Tai T, Kanda T, Yu RK
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 15
- [Detection of antibodies binding to myelin in 75 neuropathies associated with IgM gammopathy].
- Authors: Campant RM, Caudie C, Kopp N, Lombard C, Later R
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Feb
- Autoimmune mechanisms in peripheral neuropathies.
- Authors: Yu RK, Ariga T, Kohriyama T, Kusunoki S, Maeda Y, Miyatani N
- Issue date: 1990