Viral infection prevents diabetes by inducing regulatory T cells through NKT cellâ plasmacytoid dendritic cell interplay
Mellor, Andrew L.
von Herrath, Matthias
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractType 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease resulting from T cellâ mediated destruction of insulin-producing Î² cells, and viral infections can prevent the onset of disease. Invariant natural killer T cells (iNKT cells) exert a regulatory role in T1D by inhibiting autoimmune T cell responses. As iNKT cellâ plasmacytoid dendritic cell (pDC) cooperation controls viral replication in the pancreatic islets, we investigated whether this cellular cross talk could interfere with T1D development during viral infection. Using both virus-induced and spontaneous mouse models of T1D, we show that upon viral infection, iNKT cells induce TGF-Î²â producing pDCs in the pancreatic lymph nodes (LNs). These tolerogenic pDCs convert naive anti-islet T cells into Foxp3+ CD4+ regulatory T cells (T reg cells) in pancreatic LNs. T reg cells are then recruited into the pancreatic islets where they produce TGF-Î², which dampens the activity of viral- and islet-specific CD8+ T cells, thereby preventing T1D development in both T1D models. These findings reveal a crucial cooperation between iNKT cells, pDCs, and T reg cells for prevention of T1D by viral infection.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2011 Apr 11; 208(4):729-745
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells license regulatory T cells, upon iNKT-cell stimulation, to prevent autoimmune diabetes.
- Authors: Beaudoin L, Diana J, Ghazarian L, Simoni Y, Boitard C, Lehuen A
- Issue date: 2014 May
- CD4(+) type II NKT cells mediate ICOS and programmed death-1-dependent regulation of type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Kadri N, Korpos E, Gupta S, Briet C, Löfbom L, Yagita H, Lehuen A, Boitard C, Holmberg D, Sorokin L, Cardell SL
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Dual control of antitumor CD8 T cells through the programmed death-1/programmed death-ligand 1 pathway and immunosuppressive CD4 T cells: regulation and counterregulation.
- Authors: Currie AJ, Prosser A, McDonnell A, Cleaver AL, Robinson BW, Freeman GJ, van der Most RG
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 15
- Immunoregulatory mechanisms triggered by viral infections protect from type 1 diabetes in mice.
- Authors: Filippi CM, Estes EA, Oldham JE, von Herrath MG
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- CD8(+) T cells specific for beta cells encounter their cognate antigens in the islets of NOD mice.
- Authors: Pang S, Zhang L, Wang H, Yi Z, Li L, Gao L, Zhao J, Tisch R, Katz JD, Wang B
- Issue date: 2009 Oct