P2Y receptors as regulators of lung endothelial barrier integrity
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEndothelial cells (ECs), forming a semi-permeable barrier between the interior space of blood vessels and underlying tissues, control such diverse processes as vascular tone, homeostasis, adhesion of platelets, and leukocytes to the vascular wall and permeability of vascular wall for cells and fluids. Mechanisms which govern the highly clinically relevant process of increased EC permeability are under intense investigation. It is well known that loss of this barrier (permeability increase) results in tissue inflammation, the hall mark of inflammatory diseases such as acute lung injury and its severe form, acute respiratory distress syndrome. Little is known about processes which determine the endothelial barrier enhancement or protection against permeability increase. It is now well accepted that extracellular purines and pyrimidines are promising and physiologically relevant barrier-protective agents and their effects are mediated by interaction with cell surface P2Y receptors which belong to the superfamily of G-protein-coupled receptors. The therapeutic potential of P2Y receptors is rapidly expanding field in pharmacology and some selective agonists became recently available. Here, we present an overview of recently identified P2Y receptor agonists that enhance the pulmonary endothelial barrier and inhibit and/or reverse endothelial barrier disruption.
CitationJ Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2011 Jan-Mar; 2(1):14-22
- Cytoskeletal mechanisms regulating vascular endothelial barrier function in response to acute lung injury.
- Authors: Kása A, Csortos C, Verin AD
- Issue date: 2015
- Protective effect of purinergic agonist ATPgammaS against acute lung injury.
- Authors: Kolosova IA, Mirzapoiazova T, Moreno-Vinasco L, Sammani S, Garcia JG, Verin AD
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Activated protein C mediates novel lung endothelial barrier enhancement: role of sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor transactivation.
- Authors: Finigan JH, Dudek SM, Singleton PA, Chiang ET, Jacobson JR, Camp SM, Ye SQ, Garcia JG
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 29
- Role of sphingosine-1 phosphate in the enhancement of endothelial barrier integrity by platelet-released products.
- Authors: Schaphorst KL, Chiang E, Jacobs KN, Zaiman A, Natarajan V, Wigley F, Garcia JG
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Arachidonic acid cascade in endothelial pathobiology.
- Authors: Bogatcheva NV, Sergeeva MG, Dudek SM, Verin AD
- Issue date: 2005 May