Forebrain NR2B Overexpression Facilitating the Prefrontal Cortex Long-Term Potentiation and Enhancing Working Memory Function in Mice
Tsien, Joe Z.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrefrontal cortex plays an important role in working memory, attention regulation and behavioral inhibition. Its functions are associated with NMDA receptors. However, there is little information regarding the roles of NMDA receptor NR2B subunit in prefrontal cortical synaptic plasticity and prefrontal cortex-related working memory. Whether the up-regulation of NR2B subunit influences prefrontal cortical synaptic plasticity and working memory is not yet clear. In the present study, we measured prefrontal cortical synaptic plasticity and working memory function in NR2B overexpressing transgenic mice. In vitro electrophysiological data showed that overexpression of NR2B specifically in the forebrain region resulted in enhancement of prefrontal cortical long-term potentiation (LTP) but did not alter long-term depression (LTD). The enhanced LTP was completely abolished by a NR2B subunit selective antagonist, Ro25-6981, indicating that overexpression of NR2B subunit is responsible for enhanced LTP. In addition, NR2B transgenic mice exhibited better performance in a set of working memory paradigms including delay no-match-to-place T-maze, working memory version of water maze and odor span task. Our study provides evidence that NR2B subunit of NMDA receptor in prefrontal cortex is critical for prefrontal cortex LTP and prefrontal cortex-related working memory.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 May 31; 6(5):e20312
- Forebrain NR2B overexpression enhancing fear acquisition and long-term potentiation in the lateral amygdala.
- Authors: Duan Y, Zhou S, Ma J, Yin P, Cao X
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Genetic enhancement of memory and long-term potentiation but not CA1 long-term depression in NR2B transgenic rats.
- Authors: Wang D, Cui Z, Zeng Q, Kuang H, Wang LP, Tsien JZ, Cao X
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 19
- Roles of NMDA NR2B subtype receptor in prefrontal long-term potentiation and contextual fear memory.
- Authors: Zhao MG, Toyoda H, Lee YS, Wu LJ, Ko SW, Zhang XH, Jia Y, Shum F, Xu H, Li BM, Kaang BK, Zhuo M
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 15
- NR2B subunit in the prefrontal cortex: A double-edged sword for working memory function and psychiatric disorders.
- Authors: Monaco SA, Gulchina Y, Gao WJ
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Maintenance of superior learning and memory function in NR2B transgenic mice during ageing.
- Authors: Cao X, Cui Z, Feng R, Tang YP, Qin Z, Mei B, Tsien JZ
- Issue date: 2007 Mar