Binge-Pattern Alcohol Exposure during Puberty Induces Long-Term Changes in HPA Axis Reactivity
AuthorsPrzybycien-Szymanska, Magdalena M.
Mott, Natasha N.
Paul, Caitlin R.
Gillespie, Roberta A.
Pak, Toni R.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdolescence is a dynamic and important period of brain development however, little is known about the long-term neurobiological consequences of alcohol consumption during puberty. Our previous studies showed that binge-pattern ethanol (EtOH) treatment during pubertal development negatively dysregulated the responsiveness of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, as manifested by alterations in corticotrophin-releasing hormone (CRH), arginine vasopressin (AVP), and corticosterone (CORT) during this time period. Thus, the primary goal of this study was to determine whether these observed changes in important central regulators of the stress response were permanent or transient. In this study, juvenile male Wistar rats were treated with a binge-pattern EtOH treatment paradigm or saline alone for 8 days. The animals were left undisturbed until adulthood when they received a second round of treatments consisting of saline alone, a single dose of EtOH, or a second binge-pattern treatment paradigm. The results showed that pubertal binge-pattern EtOH exposure induced striking long-lasting alterations of many HPA axis parameters. Overall, our data provide strong evidence that binge-pattern EtOH exposure during pubertal maturation has long-term detrimental effects for the healthy development of the HPA axis.
CitationPLoS One. 2011 Apr 13; 6(4):e18350
- Binge-pattern alcohol exposure during puberty induces sexually dimorphic changes in genes regulating the HPA axis.
- Authors: Przybycien-Szymanska MM, Rao YS, Pak TR
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- 17β-Estradiol is required for the sexually dimorphic effects of repeated binge-pattern alcohol exposure on the HPA axis during adolescence.
- Authors: Przybycien-Szymanska MM, Gillespie RA, Pak TR
- Issue date: 2012
- Regulatory mechanism of hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and neuronal changes after adrenalectomy in type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Yi SS, Hwang IK, Shin JH, Choi JH, Lee CH, Kim IY, Kim YN, Won MH, Park IS, Seong JK, Yoon YS
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- The hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis response to experimental traumatic brain injury.
- Authors: Grundy PL, Harbuz MS, Jessop DS, Lightman SL, Sharples PM
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Chronic daily ethanol and withdrawal: 1. Long-term changes in the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis.
- Authors: Rasmussen DD, Boldt BM, Bryant CA, Mitton DR, Larsen SA, Wilkinson CW
- Issue date: 2000 Dec