Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D, Library Photographs
The Library began in 1834 when the Medical College of Georgia began constructing its school building on Telfair Street and Dr. Louis Alexander Dugas, Professor of Anatomy, was sent by his fellow faculty members to Europe to purchase “an anatomical museum, chemical apparatus, [and] Library” (MCG Faculty Minutes, March 3. 1835).
When MCG moved from the Telfair Street building in 1913 to the current campus, the Library was housed in the Newton Building, along with the administration offices, classrooms, and laboratories. In 1954 the Kelly Administration Building was completed and included the Library. Finally in 1963 a freestanding building was constructed for solely for the purpose of housing the Library and providing adequate study space for the students. In 1981 an addition was built and increased the Library’s square footage by almost 50,000 square feet.
The MCG Library was officially renamed the Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D. Library in 1988 after the death of internationally known endocrinologist and MCG Professor Emeritus who passed away in 1987.
Credit shall be given as follows: Historical Collections and Archives, Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D. Library, Augusta University
All items in the repository are protected by copyright; they may be used for educational purposes with proper attribution. All other uses require the author's permission.