Obesity related methylation changes in DNA of peripheral blood leukocytes
Munn, David H.
Maria, Bernard L.
Treiber, Frank A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Despite evidence linking obesity to impaired immune function, little is known about the specific mechanisms. Because of emerging evidence that immune responses are epigenetically regulated, we hypothesized that DNA methylation changes are involved in obesity induced immune dysfunction and aimed to identify these changes.
Method: We conducted a genome wide methylation analysis on seven obese cases and seven lean controls aged 14 to 18 years from extreme ends of the obesity distribution and performed further validation of six CpG sites from six genes in 46 obese cases and 46 lean controls aged 14 to 30 years.
Results: In comparison with the lean controls, we observed one CpG site in the UBASH3A gene showing higher methylation levels and one CpG site in the TRIM3 gene showing lower methylation levels in the obese cases in both the genome wide step (P = 5 Ã 10-6 and P = 2 Ã 10-5 for the UBASH3A and the TRIM3 gene respectively) and the validation step (P = 0.008 and P = 0.001 for the UBASH3A and the TRIM3 gene respectively).
Conclusions: Our results provide evidence that obesity is associated with methylation changes in blood leukocyte DNA. Further studies are warranted to determine the causal direction of this relationship as well as whether such methylation changes can lead to immune dysfunction.
CitationBMC Med. 2010 Dec 21; 8:87
- DNA methylation of the LY86 gene is associated with obesity, insulin resistance, and inflammation.
- Authors: Su S, Zhu H, Xu X, Wang X, Dong Y, Kapuku G, Treiber F, Gutin B, Harshfield G, Snieder H, Wang X
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Epigenetics and obesity: the devil is in the details.
- Authors: Franks PW, Ling C
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 21
- An epigenome-wide study of obesity in African American youth and young adults: novel findings, replication in neutrophils, and relationship with gene expression.
- Authors: Wang X, Pan Y, Zhu H, Hao G, Huang Y, Barnes V, Shi H, Snieder H, Pankow J, North K, Grove M, Guan W, Demerath E, Dong Y, Su S
- Issue date: 2018
- A genome-wide methylation study on essential hypertension in young African American males.
- Authors: Wang X, Falkner B, Zhu H, Shi H, Su S, Xu X, Sharma AK, Dong Y, Treiber F, Gutin B, Harshfield G, Snieder H
- Issue date: 2013
- A genome-wide methylation study on obesity: differential variability and differential methylation.
- Authors: Xu X, Su S, Barnes VA, De Miguel C, Pollock J, Ownby D, Shi H, Zhu H, Snieder H, Wang X
- Issue date: 2013 May