AbstractBarrett's esophagus predisposes affected patients to the development of esophageal adenocarcinoma. The development of adenocarcinoma proceeds along a progression through low- and high-grade dysplasia. Surveillance of Barrett's patients requires serial endoscopic investigations and grading mucosal biopsies. Unfortunately, grading of biopsies by conventional hematoxylin and eosin staining is fraught with significant interobserver variations. We have found in both biopsy and resection specimens that immunostaining for the small GTP binding protein Rab11 is increased in low-grade dysplastic cells. This staining is lost in high-grade dysplastic cells. These results suggest that low-grade dysplastic cells undergo an apical trafficking blockade, which is released as cells progress to the less differentiated phenotype of high-grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma. Examination of the SKGT-4 esophageal adenocarcinoma cell line demonstrated prominent mRNA and protein expression for Rab11. Rab11 immunostaining was present in SKGT-4 cells as a perinuclear nidus of punctate staining along with a more diffuse punctate pattern. Thus, Rab11 expression was present in a esophageal adenocarcinoma cells in culture. Markers of vesicle trafficking may be critical factors for grading of mucosal dysplastic transitions leading to adenocarcinoma.
CitationYale J Biol Med. 1999 Mar-Jun; 72(2-3):113-120
- Increased immunoreactivity for Rab11, a small GTP-binding protein, in low-grade dysplastic Barrett's epithelia.
- Authors: Ray GS, Lee JR, Nwokeji K, Mills LR, Goldenring JR
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Anti-phosphorylated histone H3 expression in Barrett's esophagus, low-grade dysplasia, high-grade dysplasia, and adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Goodarzi M, Correa AM, Ajani JA, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Guha S, Deavers MT, Rashid A, Maru DM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- In situ hybridization for the detection of telomerase RNA in the progression from Barrett's esophagus to esophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Morales CP, Lee EL, Shay JW
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 15
- High-grade dysplasia and superficial adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus: histological mapping and expression of p53, p21 and Bcl-2 oncoproteins.
- Authors: Chatelain D, Fléjou JF
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Proinflammatory cytokine and nuclear factor kappa-B expression along the inflammation-metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence in the esophagus.
- Authors: O'Riordan JM, Abdel-latif MM, Ravi N, McNamara D, Byrne PJ, McDonald GS, Keeling PW, Kelleher D, Reynolds JV
- Issue date: 2005 Jun