Operant Sensation Seeking Requires Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 5 (mGluR5)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPharmacological and genetic studies have suggested that the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) is critically involved in mediating the reinforcing effects of drugs of abuse, but not food. The purpose of this study was to use mGluR5 knockout (KO), heterozygous (Het), and wildtype (WT) mice to determine if mGluR5 modulates operant sensation seeking (OSS), an operant task that uses varied sensory stimuli as a reinforcer. We found that mGluR5 KO mice had significantly reduced OSS responding relative to WT mice, while Het mice displayed a paradoxical increase in OSS responding. Neither KO nor Het mice exhibited altered operant responding for food as a reinforcer. Further, we assessed mGluR5 KO, Het and WT mice across a battery of cocaine locomotor, place preference and anxiety related tests. Although KO mice showed expected differences in some locomotor and anxiety measures, Het mice either exhibited no phenotype or an intermediate one. In total, these data demonstrate a key role for mGluR5 in OSS, indicating an important role for this receptor in reinforcement-based behavior.
CitationPLoS One. 2010 Nov 30; 5(11):e15085
- Reinforcing and locomotor stimulant effects of cocaine are absent in mGluR5 null mutant mice.
- Authors: Chiamulera C, Epping-Jordan MP, Zocchi A, Marcon C, Cottiny C, Tacconi S, Corsi M, Orzi F, Conquet F
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Novelty-seeking behaviors and the escalation of alcohol drinking after abstinence in mice are controlled by metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 on neurons expressing dopamine d1 receptors.
- Authors: Parkitna JR, Sikora M, Gołda S, Gołembiowska K, Bystrowska B, Engblom D, Bilbao A, Przewlocki R
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 1
- Operant sensation seeking in the mouse.
- Authors: Olsen CM, Winder DG
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 10
- Incentive learning underlying cocaine-seeking requires mGluR5 receptors located on dopamine D1 receptor-expressing neurons.
- Authors: Novak M, Halbout B, O'Connor EC, Rodriguez Parkitna J, Su T, Chai M, Crombag HS, Bilbao A, Spanagel R, Stephens DN, Schütz G, Engblom D
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8
- Genetic reduction of group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptors alters select behaviors in a mouse model for fragile X syndrome.
- Authors: Thomas AM, Bui N, Graham D, Perkins JR, Yuva-Paylor LA, Paylor R
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 1