Ganglioside metabolism in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease: expression of Chol-1a antigens in the brain
Buccafusco, Jerry J
McDonald, Michael P
Yu, Robert K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe accumulation of Ab (amyloid b-protein) is one of the major pathological hallmarks in AD (Alzheimer’s disease). Gangliosides, sialic acid-containing glycosphingolipids enriched in the nervous system and frequently used as biomarkers associated with the biochemical pathology of neurological disorders, have been suggested to be involved in the initial aggregation of Ab. In the present study, we have examined ganglioside metabolism in the brain of a double- Tg (transgenic) mouse model of AD that co-expresses mouse/ human chimaeric APP (amyloid precursor protein) with the Swedish mutation and human presenilin-1 with a deletion of exon 9. Although accumulation of Ab was confirmed in the double-Tg mouse brains and sera, no statistically significant change was detected in the concentration and composition of major ganglio-N-tetraosyl-series gangliosides in the double-Tg brain. Most interestingly, Chol-1a antigens (cholinergic neuron-specific gangliosides), such as GT1aa and GQ1ba, which are minor species in the brain, were found to be increased in the double-Tg mouse brain. We interpret that the occurrence of these gangliosides may represent evidence for generation of cholinergic neurons in the AD brain, as a result of compensatory neurogenesis activated by the presence of Ab.
CitationASN Neuro. 2010 Oct 4; 2(4):e00044
- Brain gangliosides of a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease with deficiency in GD3-synthase: expression of elevated levels of a cholinergic-specific ganglioside, GT1aα.
- Authors: Ariga T, Itokazu Y, McDonald MP, Hirabayashi Y, Ando S, Yu RK
- Issue date: 2013 May 30
- Brain Gangliosides in Alzheimer's Disease: Increased Expression of Cholinergic Neuron-Specific Gangliosides.
- Authors: Fukami Y, Ariga T, Yamada M, Yuki N
- Issue date: 2017
- Ganglioside-Dependent Neural Stem Cell Proliferation in Alzheimer's Disease Model Mice.
- Authors: Koon NA, Itokazu Y, Yu RK
- Issue date: 2015 Nov-Dec
- The Pathogenic Role of Ganglioside Metabolism in Alzheimer's Disease-Cholinergic Neuron-Specific Gangliosides and Neurogenesis.
- Authors: Ariga T
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Anti-Chol-1 antigen, GQ1bα, antibodies are associated with Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Ariga T, Kubota M, Nakane M, Oguro K, Yu RK, Ando S
- Issue date: 2013