Unnecessary Workup of Asymptomatic Neonates in the Era of Group B Streptococcus Prophylaxis
Bell, Sue Anne
Sutherland, Donald E.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAsymptomatic term neonates born to mothers who are Group B Streptococcus (GBS) unknown or GBS positive but â inadequatelyâ treated prior to delivery do not require invasive laboratory evaluation. We conducted a retrospective cohort study of mother/baby dyads born from January 1, 2005 until September 30, 2007 at the Medical College of Georgia. Their current protocol is to obtain a Complete Blood Count with Differential (CBC with D), Blood Culture (BC), and C-reactive protein (CRP) after birth. Mother/baby dyads (n = 242) that met inclusion criteria were reviewed. Of these 242 babies 25 (10%) were started on antibiotics after the initial lab values were known. None of the blood cultures were positive and the CRP's were normal. The 2002 GBS guidelines call for laboratory evaluation of â at-riskâ neonates, but the workup of these babies is not only costly, it does not provide any advantage over old fashioned clinical observation for the evaluation and treatment of early onset GBS sepsis.
CitationInfect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug 22; 2010:369654
- The use of blood counts and blood cultures to screen neonates born to partially treated group B Streptococcus-carrier mothers for early-onset sepsis: is it justified?
- Authors: Hashavya S, Benenson S, Ergaz-Shaltiel Z, Bar-Oz B, Averbuch D, Eventov-Friedman S
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Early-onset group B Streptococcus sepsis in high risk neonates born after prolonged rupture of membranes.
- Authors: Makhoul IR, Sprecher H, Sawaid R, Jakobi P, Smolkin T, Sujov P, Kassis I, Blazer S
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Intrapartum antibiotics for prolonged rupture of membranes at term to prevent Group B Streptococcal sepsis.
- Authors: Geethanath RM, Ahmed I, Abu-Harb M, Onwuneme C, McGarry K, Hinshaw K
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Intrapartum evidence of early-onset group B streptococcus.
- Authors: Tudela CM, Stewart RD, Roberts SW, Wendel GD Jr, Stafford IA, McIntire DD, Sheffield JS
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Group B streptococcus disease in neonates: to screen or not to screen?
- Authors: Subair O, Wagner P, Omojole F, Morgan H
- Issue date: 2005 Jul