alpha-Actinin interacts with rapsyn in agrin-stimulated AChR clustering.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract: AChR is concentrated at the postjunctional membrane at the neuromuscular junction. However, the underlying mechanism is unclear. We show that alpha-actinin, a protein known to cross-link F-actin, interacts with rapsyn, a scaffold protein essential for neuromuscular junction formation. alpha-Actinin, rapsyn, and surface AChR form a ternary complex. Moreover, the rapsyn-alpha-actinin interaction is increased by agrin, a factor known to stimulate AChR clustering. Downregulation of alpha-actinin expression inhibits agrin-mediated AChR clustering. Furthermore, the rapsyn-alpha-actinin interaction can be disrupted by inhibiting Abl and by cholinergic stimulation. Together these results indicate a role for alpha-actinin in AChR clustering.
CitationMol Brain. 2008 Dec 3; 1:18
- Neural agrin increases postsynaptic ACh receptor packing by elevating rapsyn protein at the mouse neuromuscular synapse.
- Authors: Brockhausen J, Cole RN, Gervásio OL, Ngo ST, Noakes PG, Phillips WD
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Agrin regulates rapsyn interaction with surface acetylcholine receptors, and this underlies cytoskeletal anchoring and clustering.
- Authors: Moransard M, Borges LS, Willmann R, Marangi PA, Brenner HR, Ferns MJ, Fuhrer C
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 28
- Nuclear factor kappaB controls acetylcholine receptor clustering at the neuromuscular junction.
- Authors: Wang J, Fu XQ, Lei WL, Wang T, Sheng AL, Luo ZG
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 18
- Identification of a motif in the acetylcholine receptor beta subunit whose phosphorylation regulates rapsyn association and postsynaptic receptor localization.
- Authors: Borges LS, Yechikhov S, Lee YI, Rudell JB, Friese MB, Burden SJ, Ferns MJ
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 5
- Src-family kinases stabilize the neuromuscular synapse in vivo via protein interactions, phosphorylation, and cytoskeletal linkage of acetylcholine receptors.
- Authors: Sadasivam G, Willmann R, Lin S, Erb-Vögtli S, Kong XC, Rüegg MA, Fuhrer C
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 9