LGN regulates mitotic spindle orientation during epithelial morphogenesis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoordinated cell polarization and mitotic spindle orientation are thought to be important for epithelial morphogenesis. Whether spindle orientation is indeed linked to epithelial morphogenesis and how it is controlled at the molecular level is still unknown. Here, we show that the NuMA- and Ga-binding protein LGN is required for directing spindle orientation during cystogenesis of MDCK cells. LGN localizes to the lateral cell cortex, and is excluded from the apical cell cortex of dividing cells. Depleting LGN, preventing its cortical localization, or disrupting its interaction with endogenous NuMA or Ga proteins all lead to spindle misorientation and abnormal cystogenesis. Moreover, artificial mistargeting of endogenous LGN to the apical membrane results in a near 90° rotation of the spindle axis and profound cystogenesis defects that are dependent on cell division. The normal apical exclusion of LGN during mitosis appears to be mediated by atypical PKC. Thus, cell polarizationâ mediated spatial restriction of spindle orientation determinants is critical for epithelial morphogenesis.
CitationJ Cell Biol. 2010 Apr 19; 189(2):275-288
- Eya1 controls cell polarity, spindle orientation, cell fate and Notch signaling in distal embryonic lung epithelium.
- Authors: El-Hashash AH, Turcatel G, Al Alam D, Buckley S, Tokumitsu H, Bellusci S, Warburton D
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Ric-8A and Gi alpha recruit LGN, NuMA, and dynein to the cell cortex to help orient the mitotic spindle.
- Authors: Woodard GE, Huang NN, Cho H, Miki T, Tall GG, Kehrl JH
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- SAPCD2 Controls Spindle Orientation and Asymmetric Divisions by Negatively Regulating the Gαi-LGN-NuMA Ternary Complex.
- Authors: Chiu CWN, Monat C, Robitaille M, Lacomme M, Daulat AM, Macleod G, McNeill H, Cayouette M, Angers S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 11
- Evidence for dynein and astral microtubule-mediated cortical release and transport of Gαi/LGN/NuMA complex in mitotic cells.
- Authors: Zheng Z, Wan Q, Liu J, Zhu H, Chu X, Du Q
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Cell division orientation is coupled to cell-cell adhesion by the E-cadherin/LGN complex.
- Authors: Gloerich M, Bianchini JM, Siemers KA, Cohen DJ, Nelson WJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 3