A Novel Function of RING Finger Protein 10 in Transcriptional Regulation of the Myelin-Associated Glycoprotein Gene and Myelin Formation in Schwann Cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG) has been detected in Schwann cells prior to the onset of myelination, suggesting its functions in the initiation of myelination. However, transcriptional regulatory mechanisms of MAG remain to be elucidated. Here, we analyzed the promoter of the MAG gene by using luciferase reporter systems in the primary rat Schwann cells. We identified a novel cis-acting element located 160 bp upstream from the MAG transcription initiation site. Using the identified cis-element as a bait, we performed yeast one-hybrid screening and isolated a cDNA encoding a RNF10 as a putative trans-acting protein. When overexpressed in Schwann cells, RNF10 enhanced the activity of the MAG promoter. When RNF10 expression in Schwann cells was knocked down by siRNA, endogenous MAG mRNA and protein expression decreased. Furthermore, we evaluated myelin synthesis using Schwann cell-DRG neuron cocultures. When Schwann cells were infected with retrovirus expressing RNF10 siRNA, myelin formation was inhibited. These data suggest that RNF10 regulates MAG expression and is required for myelin formation.
CitationPLoS ONE. 2008 Oct 21; 3(10):e3464
- MAG-deficient Schwann cells myelinate dorsal root ganglion neurons in culture.
- Authors: Carenini S, Montag D, Schachner M, Martini R
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Evidence for an early role for myelin-associated glycoprotein in the process of myelination.
- Authors: Owens GC, Bunge RP
- Issue date: 1989
- Comparative analysis of Schwann cell lines as model systems for myelin gene transcription studies.
- Authors: Hai M, Muja N, DeVries GH, Quarles RH, Patel PI
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- Myelin-associated glycoprotein and galactosylcerebroside expression in Schwann cells during myelination.
- Authors: Päiväläinen S, Heape AM
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Shear stress alters the expression of myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG) and myelin basic protein (MBP) in Schwann cells.
- Authors: Gupta R, Truong L, Bear D, Chafik D, Modafferi E, Hung CT
- Issue date: 2005 Sep