A critical role for the programmed death ligand 1 in fetomaternal tolerance
Ansari, Mohammed Javeed
Noelle, Randolph J.
Mellor, Andrew L.
Khoury, Samia J.
Sayegh, Mohamed H.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFetal survival during gestation implies that tolerance mechanisms suppress the maternal immune response to paternally inherited alloantigens. Here we show that the inhibitory T cell costimulatory molecule, programmed death ligand 1 (PDL1), has an important role in conferring fetomaternal tolerance in an allogeneic pregnancy model. Blockade of PDL1 signaling during murine pregnancy resulted in increased rejection rates of allogeneic concepti but not syngeneic concepti. Fetal rejection was T cell– but not B cell–dependent because PDL1-specific antibody treatment caused fetal rejection in B cell–deficient but not in RAG-1 –deficient females. Blockade of PDL1 also resulted in a significant increase in the frequency of IFN- –producing lymphocytes in response to alloantigen in an ELISPOT assay and higher IFN- levels in placental homogenates by ELISA. Finally, PDL1-deficient females exhibited decreased allogeneic fetal survival rates as compared with littermate and heterozygote controls and showed evidence of expansion of T helper type 1 immune responses in vivo. These results provide the first evidence that PDL1 is involved in fetomaternal tolerance.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2005 Jul 18; 202(2):231-237
- A link between PDL1 and T regulatory cells in fetomaternal tolerance.
- Authors: Habicht A, Dada S, Jurewicz M, Fife BT, Yagita H, Azuma M, Sayegh MH, Guleria I
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 15
- PDL1 is required for peripheral transplantation tolerance and protection from chronic allograft rejection.
- Authors: Tanaka K, Albin MJ, Yuan X, Yamaura K, Habicht A, Murayama T, Grimm M, Waaga AM, Ueno T, Padera RF, Yagita H, Azuma M, Shin T, Blazar BR, Rothstein DM, Sayegh MH, Najafian N
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 15
- The link between the PDL1 costimulatory pathway and Th17 in fetomaternal tolerance.
- Authors: D'Addio F, Riella LV, Mfarrej BG, Chabtini L, Adams LT, Yeung M, Yagita H, Azuma M, Sayegh MH, Guleria I
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 1
- Analysis of the role of negative T cell costimulatory pathways in CD4 and CD8 T cell-mediated alloimmune responses in vivo.
- Authors: Ito T, Ueno T, Clarkson MR, Yuan X, Jurewicz MM, Yagita H, Azuma M, Sharpe AH, Auchincloss H Jr, Sayegh MH, Najafian N
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 1
- PDL1 blockage increases fetal resorption and Tfr cells but does not affect Tfh/Tfr ratio and B-cell maturation during allogeneic pregnancy.
- Authors: Zeng W, Qin S, Wang R, Zhang Y, Ma X, Tian F, Liu XR, Qin X, Liao S, Sun L, Lin Y
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 12