Positive Selection of Cd4+ T Cells Is Induced in Vivo by Agonist and Inhibited by Antagonist Peptides
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe nature of peptides that positively select T cells in the thymus remains poorly defined. Here we report an in vivo model to study the mechanisms of positive selection of CD4+ T cells. We have restored positive selection of TCR transgenic CD4+ thymocytes, arrested at the CD4+CD8+ stage, due to the lack of the endogenously selecting peptide(s), in mice deficient for H2-M and invariant chain. A single injection of soluble agonist peptide(s) initiated positive selection of CD4+ transgenic T cells that lasted for up to 14 days. Positively selected CD4+ T cells repopulated peripheral lymphoid organs and could respond to the antigenic peptide. Furthermore, coinjection of the antagonist peptide significantly inhibited agonist-driven positive selection. Hence, contrary to the prevailing view, positive selection of CD4+ thymocytes can be induced in vivo by agonist peptides and may be a result of accumulation of signals from TCR engaged by different peptides bound to major histocompatibility complex class II molecules. We have also identified a candidate natural agonist peptide that induces positive selection of CD4+ TCR transgenic thymocytes.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2001 Aug 20; 194(4):407-416
- The quantity of TCR signal determines positive selection and lineage commitment of T cells.
- Authors: Watanabe N, Arase H, Onodera M, Ohashi PS, Saito T
- Issue date: 2000 Dec 1
- A role for accessibility to self-peptide-self-MHC complexes in intrathymic negative selection.
- Authors: Viret C, Sant'Angelo DB, He X, Ramaswamy H, Janeway CA Jr
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 1
- Antagonist peptide selects thymocytes expressing a class II major histocompatibility complex-restricted T cell receptor into the CD8 lineage.
- Authors: Volkmann A, Barthlott T, Weiss S, Frank R, Stockinger B
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 21
- Human CD4 expression at the late single-positive stage of thymic development supports T cell maturation and peripheral export in CD4-deficient mice.
- Authors: Boyer O, Marodon G, Cohen JL, Lejeune L, Irinopoulou T, Liblau R, Bruneval P, Klatzmann D
- Issue date: 2002 Oct 15
- Positive and negative CD4+ thymocyte selection by a single MHC class II/peptide ligand affected by its expression level in the thymus.
- Authors: Fukui Y, Ishimoto T, Utsuyama M, Gyotoku T, Koga T, Nakao K, Hirokawa K, Katsuki M, Sasazuki T
- Issue date: 1997 Apr