AuthorsKoni, Pandelakis A.
Joshi, Sunil K.
Flavell, Richard A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe generated vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM)-1 “knock-in” mice and Cre recombinase transgenic mice to delete the VCAM-1 gene ( vcam-1 ) in whole mice, thereby overcoming the embryonic lethality seen with conventional vcam-1 –deficient mice. vcam-1 knock-in mice expressed normal levels of VCAM-1 but showed loss of VCAM-1 on endothelial and hematopoietic cells when interbred with a “TIE2Cre” transgene. Analysis of peripheral blood from conditional vcam-1– deficient mice revealed mild leukocytosis, including elevated immature B cell numbers. Conversely, the bone marrow (BM) had reduced immature B cell numbers, but normal numbers of pro-B cells. vcam-1 –deficient mice also had reduced mature IgD 1 B and T cells in BM and a greatly reduced capacity to support short-term migration of transferred B cells, CD4 1 T cells, CD8 1 T cells, and preactivated CD4 1 T cells to the BM. Thus, we report an until now unappreciated dominant role for VCAM-1 in lymphocyte homing to BM.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2001 Mar 19; 193(6):741-754
- Neonatally induced inactivation of the vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 gene impairs B cell localization and T cell-dependent humoral immune response.
- Authors: Leuker CE, Labow M, Müller W, Wagner N
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 19
- Endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 promote hematopoietic progenitor homing to bone marrow.
- Authors: Frenette PS, Subbarao S, Mazo IB, von Andrian UH, Wagner DD
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 24
- Eosinophil recruitment to the lung in a murine model of allergic inflammation. The role of T cells, chemokines, and adhesion receptors.
- Authors: Gonzalo JA, Lloyd CM, Kremer L, Finger E, Martinez-A C, Siegelman MH, Cybulsky M, Gutierrez-Ramos JC
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 15
- Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression by hematopoiesis-supporting stromal cells is not essential for lymphoid or myeloid differentiation in vivo or in vitro.
- Authors: Friedrich C, Cybulsky MI, Gutierrez-Ramos JC
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Hierarchy of molecular-pathway usage in bone marrow homing and its shift by cytokines.
- Authors: Bonig H, Priestley GV, Papayannopoulou T
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 1