Impaired membrane resealing and autoimmune myositis in synaptotagmin VIIâ deficient mice
Kobayashi, Koichi S.
Flavell, Richard A.
Marks, Carolyn B.
Liston, David R.
Fowler, Kimberly T.
Gorelick, Fred S.
Andrews, Norma W.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMembers of the synaptotagmin family have been proposed to function as Ca2+ sensors in membrane fusion. Syt VII is a ubiquitously expressed synaptotagmin previously implicated in plasma membrane repair and Trypanosoma cruzi invasion, events which are mediated by the Ca2+-regulated exocytosis of lysosomes. Here, we show that embryonic fibroblasts from Syt VII-deficient mice are less susceptible to trypanosome invasion, and defective in lysosomal exocytosis and resealing after wounding. Examination of mutant mouse tissues revealed extensive fibrosis in the skin and skeletal muscle. Inflammatory myopathy, with muscle fiber invasion by leukocytes and endomysial collagen deposition, was associated with elevated creatine kinase release and progressive muscle weakness. Interestingly, similar to what is observed in human polymyositis/dermatomyositis, the mice developed a strong antinuclear antibody response, characteristic of autoimmune disorders. Thus, defective plasma membrane repair in tissues under mechanical stress may favor the development of inflammatory autoimmune disease.
CitationJ Cell Biol. 2003 Aug 18; 162(4):543-549
- Synaptotagmin VII restricts fusion pore expansion during lysosomal exocytosis.
- Authors: Jaiswal JK, Chakrabarti S, Andrews NW, Simon SM
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Plasma membrane repair is mediated by Ca(2+)-regulated exocytosis of lysosomes.
- Authors: Reddy A, Caler EV, Andrews NW
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 27
- Molecular regulation of membrane resealing in 3T3 fibroblasts.
- Authors: Shen SS, Tucker WC, Chapman ER, Steinhardt RA
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 14
- Synaptotagmin VII is targeted to dense-core vesicles and regulates their Ca2+ -dependent exocytosis in PC12 cells.
- Authors: Fukuda M, Kanno E, Satoh M, Saegusa C, Yamamoto A
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 10
- The Exocytosis-regulatory protein synaptotagmin VII mediates cell invasion by Trypanosoma cruzi.
- Authors: Caler EV, Chakrabarti S, Fowler KT, Rao S, Andrews NW
- Issue date: 2001 May 7