Regulation of cell death in mitotic neural progenitor cells by asymmetric distribution of prostate apoptosis response 4 (PAR-4) and simultaneous elevation of endogenous ceramide
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell death and survival of neural progenitor (NP) cells are determined by signals that are largely unknown. We have analyzed pro-apoptotic signaling in individual NP cells that have been derived from mouse embryonic stem cells. NP formation was concomitant with elevated apoptosis and increased expression of ceramide and prostate apoptosis response 4 (PAR-4). Morpholino oligonucleotide-mediated antisense knockdown of PAR-4 or inhibition of ceramide biosynthesis reduced stem cell apoptosis, whereas PAR-4 overexpression and treatment with ceramide analogs elevated apoptosis. Apoptotic cells also stained for proliferating cell nuclear antigen (a nuclear mitosis marker protein), but not for nestin (a marker for NP cells). In mitotic cells, asymmetric distribution of PAR-4 and nestin resulted in one nestin(â )/PAR-4(+) daughter cell, in which ceramide elevation induced apoptosis. The other cell was nestin(+), but PAR-4(â ), and was not apoptotic. Asymmetric distribution of PAR-4 and simultaneous elevation of endogenous ceramide provides a possible mechanism underlying asymmetric differentiation and apoptosis of neuronal stem cells in the developing brain.
CitationJ Cell Biol. 2003 Aug 4; 162(3):469-479
- Selective apoptosis of pluripotent mouse and human stem cells by novel ceramide analogues prevents teratoma formation and enriches for neural precursors in ES cell-derived neural transplants.
- Authors: Bieberich E, Silva J, Wang G, Krishnamurthy K, Condie BG
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 22
- Regulation of apoptosis during neuronal differentiation by ceramide and b-series complex gangliosides.
- Authors: Bieberich E, MacKinnon S, Silva J, Yu RK
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 30
- Nestin is essential for zebrafish brain and eye development through control of progenitor cell apoptosis.
- Authors: Chen HL, Yuh CH, Wu KK
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 19
- Direct binding to ceramide activates protein kinase Czeta before the formation of a pro-apoptotic complex with PAR-4 in differentiating stem cells.
- Authors: Wang G, Silva J, Krishnamurthy K, Tran E, Condie BG, Bieberich E
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 15
- Neural stem and progenitor cells in nestin-GFP transgenic mice.
- Authors: Mignone JL, Kukekov V, Chiang AS, Steindler D, Enikolopov G
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 9