BDNF-induced recruitment of TrkB receptor into neuronal lipid rafts
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) plays an important role in synaptic plasticity but the underlying signaling mechanisms remain unknown. Here, we show that BDNF rapidly recruits full-length TrkB (TrkB-FL) receptor into cholesterol-rich lipid rafts from nonraft regions of neuronal plasma membranes. Translocation of TrkB-FL was blocked by Trk inhibitors, suggesting a role of TrkB tyrosine kinase in the translocation. Disruption of lipid rafts by depleting cholesterol from cell surface blocked the ligand-induced translocation. Moreover, disruption of lipid rafts prevented potentiating effects of BDNF on transmitter release in cultured neurons and synaptic response to tetanus in hippocampal slices. In contrast, lipid rafts are not required for BDNF regulation of neuronal survival. Thus, ligand-induced TrkB translocation into lipid rafts may represent a signaling mechanism selective for synaptic modulation by BDNF in the central nervous system.
CitationJ Cell Biol. 2004 Dec 20; 167(6):1205-1215
- Regulation of TrkB receptor translocation to lipid rafts by adenosine A(2A) receptors and its functional implications for BDNF-induced regulation of synaptic plasticity.
- Authors: Assaife-Lopes N, Sousa VC, Pereira DB, Ribeiro JA, Sebastião AM
- Issue date: 2014
- Activation of adenosine A2A receptors induces TrkB translocation and increases BDNF-mediated phospho-TrkB localization in lipid rafts: implications for neuromodulation.
- Authors: Assaife-Lopes N, Sousa VC, Pereira DB, Ribeiro JA, Chao MV, Sebastião AM
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 23
- The protein tyrosine phosphatase, Shp2, is required for the complete activation of the RAS/MAPK pathway by brain-derived neurotrophic factor.
- Authors: Easton JB, Royer AR, Middlemas DS
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor regulates the expression and synaptic delivery of alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazole propionic acid receptor subunits in hippocampal neurons.
- Authors: Caldeira MV, Melo CV, Pereira DB, Carvalho R, Correia SS, Backos DS, Carvalho AL, Esteban JA, Duarte CB
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 27
- TrkB mediates BDNF-induced potentiation of neuronal necrosis in cortical culture.
- Authors: Kim HJ, Hwang JJ, Behrens MM, Snider BJ, Choi DW, Koh JY
- Issue date: 2003 Oct