Spontaneous autoimmunity prevented by thymic expression of a single self-antigen
Liou, Gregory I.
Caspi, Rachel R.
Anderson, Mark S.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe expression of self-antigen in the thymus is believed to be responsible for the deletion of autoreactive T lymphocytes, a critical process in the maintenance of unresponsiveness to self. The Autoimmune regulator (Aire) gene, which is defective in the disorder autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 1, has been shown to promote the thymic expression of self-antigens. A clear link, however, between specific thymic self-antigens and a single autoimmune phenotype in this model has been lacking. We show that autoimmune eye disease in aire-deficient mice develops as a result of loss of thymic expression of a single eye antigen, interphotoreceptor retinoid-binding protein (IRBP). In addition, lack of IRBP expression solely in the thymus, even in the presence of aire expression, is sufficient to trigger spontaneous eye-specific autoimmunity. These results suggest that failure of thymic expression of selective single self-antigens can be sufficient to cause organ-specific autoimmune disease, even in otherwise self-tolerant individuals.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2006 Nov 27; 203(12):2727-2735
- Thymic expression of autoantigens correlates with resistance to autoimmune disease.
- Authors: Egwuagu CE, Charukamnoetkanok P, Gery I
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 1
- Detection of an autoreactive T-cell population within the polyclonal repertoire that undergoes distinct autoimmune regulator (Aire)-mediated selection.
- Authors: Taniguchi RT, DeVoss JJ, Moon JJ, Sidney J, Sette A, Jenkins MK, Anderson MS
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Development of autoimmunity against transcriptionally unrepressed target antigen in the thymus of Aire-deficient mice.
- Authors: Kuroda N, Mitani T, Takeda N, Ishimaru N, Arakaki R, Hayashi Y, Bando Y, Izumi K, Takahashi T, Nomura T, Sakaguchi S, Ueno T, Takahama Y, Uchida D, Sun S, Kajiura F, Mouri Y, Han H, Matsushima A, Yamada G, Matsumoto M
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 15
- Projection of an immunological self shadow within the thymus by the aire protein.
- Authors: Anderson MS, Venanzi ES, Klein L, Chen Z, Berzins SP, Turley SJ, von Boehmer H, Bronson R, Dierich A, Benoist C, Mathis D
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 15
- The autoimmune regulator directly controls the expression of genes critical for thymic epithelial function.
- Authors: Ruan QG, Tung K, Eisenman D, Setiady Y, Eckenrode S, Yi B, Purohit S, Zheng WP, Zhang Y, Peltonen L, She JX
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 1