Mitochondrial BNIP3 upregulation precedes endonuclease G translocation in hippocampal neuronal death following oxygen-glucose deprivation.
Bean, Jonathan C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Caspase-independent apoptotic pathways are suggested as a mechanism for the delayed neuronal death following ischemic insult. However, the underlying signalling mechanisms are largely unknown. Recent studies imply the involvement of several mitochondrial proteins, including endonuclease G (EndoG) and Bcl-2/adenovirus E1B 19 kDa-interacting protein (BNIP3), in the pathway of non-neuronal cells. RESULTS: In this report, using western blot analysis and immunocytochemistry, we found that EndoG upregulates and translocates from mitochondria to nucleus in a time-dependent manner in cultured hippocampal neurons following oxygen-glucose deprivation (OGD). Moreover, the translocation of EndoG occurs hours before the observable nuclear pyknosis. Importantly, the mitochondrial upregulation of BNIP3 precedes the translocation of EndoG. Forced expression of BNIP3 increases the nuclear translocation of EndoG and neuronal death while knockdown of BNIP3 decreases the OGD-induced nuclear translocation of EndoG and neuronal death. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that BNIP3 and EndoG play important roles in hippocampal neuronal apoptosis following ischemia, and mitochondrial BNIP3 is a signal protein upstream of EndoG that can induce neuronal death.
CitationBMC Neurosci. 2009 Sep 8; 10:113
- BNIP3 upregulation and EndoG translocation in delayed neuronal death in stroke and in hypoxia.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Yang X, Zhang S, Ma X, Kong J
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Reactive oxygen species-induced cell death of rat primary astrocytes through mitochondria-mediated mechanism.
- Authors: Wang CC, Fang KM, Yang CS, Tzeng SF
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 1
- The proapoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family Bcl-2 / E1B-19K-interacting protein 3 is a mediator of caspase-independent neuronal death in excitotoxicity.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Shi R, Weng J, Xu X, Li XM, Gao TM, Kong J
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- The proapoptotic protein BNIP3 interacts with VDAC to induce mitochondrial release of endonuclease G.
- Authors: Zhang X, Bian X, Kong J
- Issue date: 2014
- Arsenic trioxide induces autophagic cell death in malignant glioma cells by upregulation of mitochondrial cell death protein BNIP3.
- Authors: Kanzawa T, Zhang L, Xiao L, Germano IM, Kondo Y, Kondo S
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 3