Impact of stress reduction on negative school behavior in adolescents.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of stress reduction via the Transcendental Meditation program on school rule infractions in adolescents. METHODS: Forty-five African American adolescents (ages 15-18 years) with high normal systolic blood pressure were randomly assigned to either Transcendental Meditation (n = 25) or health education control (n = 20) groups. The meditation group engaged in 15-min sessions at home and at school each day for 4 months. The control group was presented 15-min sessions of health education at school each day for 4 months. Primary outcome measures were changes in absenteeism, school rule infractions and suspension days during the four-month pretest period prior to randomization compared with the four-month intervention period. RESULTS: Comparing the pretest and intervention periods, the meditation group exhibited a mean decrease of 6.4 absentee periods compared to an increase of 4.8 in the control group (p <.05). The meditation group exhibited a mean decrease of 0.1 infractions over the four months compared to an increase of 0.3 in the control group (p <.03). There was a mean reduction of 0.3 suspension days due to behavior-related problems in the meditation group compared to an increase of 1.2 in the control group (p <.04). CONCLUSION: These findings demonstrate that the Transcendental Meditation program conducted in the school setting has a beneficial impact upon absenteeism, rule infractions, and suspension rates in African American adolescents.
CitationHealth Qual Life Outcomes. 2003 Apr 23; 1:10
- Impact of transcendental meditation on ambulatory blood pressure in African-American adolescents.
- Authors: Barnes VA, Treiber FA, Johnson MH
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Minor infractions are not minor: School infractions for minor misconduct may increase adolescents' defiant behavior and contribute to racial disparities in school discipline.
- Authors: Amemiya J, Mortenson E, Wang MT
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Impact of Transcendental Meditation on cardiovascular function at rest and during acute stress in adolescents with high normal blood pressure.
- Authors: Barnes VA, Treiber FA, Davis H
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Trial of stress reduction for hypertension in older African Americans. II. Sex and risk subgroup analysis.
- Authors: Alexander CN, Schneider RH, Staggers F, Sheppard W, Clayborne BM, Rainforth M, Salerno J, Kondwani K, Smith S, Walton KG, Egan B
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Stress Reduction in the Prevention of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Transcendental Meditation and Health Education in Hypertensive African Americans.
- Authors: Schneider RH, Myers HF, Marwaha K, Rainforth MA, Salerno JW, Nidich SI, Gaylord-King C, Alexander CN, Norris KC
- Issue date: 2019 Fall