NUB1, an interferon-inducible protein, mediates anti-proliferative actions and apoptosis in renal cell carcinoma cells through cell-cycle regulation.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: NEDD8 ultimate buster 1 (NUB1) is an interferon (IFN)-inducible protein that downregulates NEDD8 expression and its conjugation system. Although overexpression of NUB1 induces a growth-inhibitory effect in cells, the mechanisms underlying the anti-mitogenic actions of NUB1 in cancer cells remain uncertain. We investigated the anti-cancer effects of NUB1 in human renal cell carcinoma (RCC) cells. METHODS: Nine human RCC cells were used for this study. The proliferation of RCC cells exposed to IFN-alpha was measured by water-soluble tetrazolium salt assay. The expression level of NUB1 in cells was measured by quantitative reverse transcriptase PCR or western blot analysis. Apoptosis and cell-cycle analysis were performed by flow cytometry. Silencing of NUB1 was performed using a small interfering RNA. RESULTS: Both NUB1 messenger RNA and protein were significantly induced by IFN-alpha in seven out of nine selected RCC cell lines, and the NUB1 expressions induced by IFN-alpha correlated positively with cell growth inhibition. Overexpression of NUB1 remarkably induced S-phase transition during cell cycle and apoptosis in IFN-alpha-resistant A498 cells, in which NUB1 is not induced by IFN-alpha. The expression levels of two cell-cycle regulator proteins, cyclin E and p27, were increased under the aforementioned conditions. The knockdown of NUB1 enhanced cell proliferation of IFN-alpha-resistant A498 cells and suppressed IFN-alpha-induced growth inhibition in IFN-alpha-sensitive 4TUHR cells. CONCLUSION: NUB1 may be a key factor involved not only in cell growth inhibition by IFN-alpha in RCC cells but also in the anti-cancer effect against IFN-alpha-resistant RCC cells.
CitationBr J Cancer. 2010 Mar 2; 102(5):873-882
- Silencing Livin induces apoptotic and autophagic cell death, increasing chemotherapeutic sensitivity to cisplatin of renal carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Wang Z, Liu S, Ding K, Ding S, Li C, Lu J, Gao D, Zhang T, Bi D
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Overexpression of DLC-1 induces cell apoptosis and proliferation inhibition in the renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Zhang T, Zheng J, Jiang N, Wang G, Shi Q, Liu C, Lu Y
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 28
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma ligands induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human renal carcinoma cell lines.
- Authors: Yang FG, Zhang ZW, Xin DQ, Shi CJ, Wu JP, Guo YL, Guan YF
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- [Effects of SIPL1 screened by suppression subtractive hybridization (SSH) on biological function and drug resistance of renal cell carcinoma cells].
- Authors: Li CY, Yao AM, Chang XN, Guo YH, Xu R
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Depletion of SUMO ligase hMMS21 impairs G1 to S transition in MCF-7 breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Ni HJ, Chang YN, Kao PH, Chai SP, Hsieh YH, Wang DH, Fong JC
- Issue date: 2012 Dec