Genetically dependent ERBB3 expression modulates antigen presenting cell function and type 1 diabetes risk.
Reddy, M V Prasad Linga
Podolsky, Robert H.
Reed, John Chip
Steed, R. Dennis
Anderson, Stephen W.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractType 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease resulting from the complex interaction between multiple susceptibility genes, environmental factors and the immune system. Over 40 T1D susceptibility regions have been suggested by recent genome-wide association studies; however, the specific genes and their role in the disease remain elusive. The objective of this study is to identify the susceptibility gene(s) in the 12q13 region and investigate the functional link to the disease pathogenesis. A total of 19 SNPs in the 12q13 region were analyzed by the TaqMan assay for 1,434 T1D patients and 1,865 controls. Thirteen of the SNPs are associated with T1D (best p = 4x10(-11)), thus providing confirmatory evidence for at least one susceptibility gene in this region. To identify candidate genes, expression of six genes in the region was analyzed by real-time RT-PCR for PBMCs from 192 T1D patients and 192 controls. SNP genotypes in the 12q13 region are the main factors that determine ERBB3 mRNA levels in PBMCs. The protective genotypes for T1D are associated with higher ERBB3 mRNA level (p<10(-10)). Furthermore, ERBB3 protein is expressed on the surface of CD11c(+) cells (dendritic cells and monocytes) in peripheral blood after stimulation with LPS, polyI:C or CpG. Subjects with protective genotypes have significantly higher percentages of ERBB3(+) monocytes and dendritic cells (p = 1.1x10(-9)); and the percentages of ERBB3(+) cells positively correlate with the ability of APC to stimulate T cell proliferation (R(2) = 0.90, p<0.0001). Our results indicate that ERBB3 plays a critical role in determining APC function and potentially T1D pathogenesis.
CitationPLoS One. 2010 Jul 26; 5(7):e11789
- The rs2292239 polymorphism in ERBB3 gene is associated with risk for type 1 diabetes mellitus in a Brazilian population.
- Authors: Lemos NE, Dieter C, Dorfman LE, Assmann TS, Duarte GCK, Canani LH, Bauer AC, Crispim D
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 20
- Association of type 1 diabetes with two Loci on 12q13 and 16p13 and the influence coexisting thyroid autoimmunity in Japanese.
- Authors: Awata T, Kawasaki E, Tanaka S, Ikegami H, Maruyama T, Shimada A, Nakanishi K, Kobayashi T, Iizuka H, Uga M, Kawabata Y, Kanazawa Y, Kurihara S, Osaki M, Katayama S, Japanese Study Group on Type 1 Diabetes Genetics.
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- The Association between <i>rs2292239</i> Polymorphism in <i>ERBB3</i> Gene and Type 1 Diabetes: A Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Wang D, Pan G
- Issue date: 2019
- Genetic variation at ERBB3/IKZF4 and sexual dimorphism in epitope spreading in single autoantibody-positive relatives.
- Authors: Vandewalle J, Van der Auwera BJ, Amin H, Quartier E, Desouter AK, Tenoutasse S, Gillard P, De Block C, Keymeulen B, Gorus FK, Van de Casteele M, Belgian Diabetes Registry.
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- The genetic and regulatory architecture of ERBB3-type 1 diabetes susceptibility locus.
- Authors: Kaur S, Mirza AH, Brorsson CA, Fløyel T, Størling J, Mortensen HB, Pociot F, Hvidoere International Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 5