Conditional knockout of NMDA receptors in dopamine neurons prevents nicotine-conditioned place preference.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNicotine from smoking tobacco produces one of the most common forms of addictive behavior and has major societal and health consequences. It is known that nicotine triggers tobacco addiction by activating nicotine acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) in the midbrain dopaminergic reward system, primarily via the ventral tegmental area. Heterogeneity of cell populations in the region has made it difficult for pharmacology-based analyses to precisely assess the functional significance of glutamatergic inputs to dopamine neurons in nicotine addiction. By generating dopamine neuron-specific NR1 knockout mice using cre/loxP-mediated method, we demonstrate that genetic inactivation of the NMDA receptors in ventral tegmental area dopamine neurons selectively prevents nicotine-conditioned place preference. Interestingly, the mutant mice exhibit normal performances in the conditioned place aversion induced by aversive air puffs. Therefore, this selective effect on addictive drug-induced reinforcement behavior suggests that NMDA receptors in the dopamine neurons are critical for the development of nicotine addiction.
CitationPLoS One. 2010 Jan 7; 5(1):e8616
- NMDA receptors on non-dopaminergic neurons in the VTA support cocaine sensitization.
- Authors: Luo Y, Good CH, Diaz-Ruiz O, Zhang Y, Hoffman AF, Shan L, Kuang SY, Malik N, Chefer VI, Tomac AC, Lupica CR, Bäckman CM
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 16
- NMDA Receptors on Dopaminoceptive Neurons Are Essential for Drug-Induced Conditioned Place Preference.
- Authors: Sikora M, Tokarski K, Bobula B, Zajdel J, Jastrzębska K, Cieślak PE, Zygmunt M, Sowa J, Smutek M, Kamińska K, Gołembiowska K, Engblom D, Hess G, Przewlocki R, Rodriguez Parkitna J
- Issue date: 2016 May-Jun
- Investigating the influence of PFC transection and nicotine on dynamics of AMPA and NMDA receptors of VTA dopaminergic neurons.
- Authors: Chen T, Zhang D, Dragomir A, Kobayashi K, Akay Y, Akay M
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 21
- Why flavored vape products may be attractive: Green apple tobacco flavor elicits reward-related behavior, upregulates nAChRs on VTA dopamine neurons, and alters midbrain dopamine and GABA neuron function.
- Authors: Avelar AJ, Akers AT, Baumgard ZJ, Cooper SY, Casinelli GP, Henderson BJ
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1
- Exposure of nicotine to ventral tegmental area slices induces glutamatergic synaptic plasticity on dopamine neurons.
- Authors: Jin Y, Yang K, Wang H, Wu J
- Issue date: 2011 Apr