Conditional knockout of NMDA receptors in dopamine neurons prevents nicotine-conditioned place preference.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNicotine from smoking tobacco produces one of the most common forms of addictive behavior and has major societal and health consequences. It is known that nicotine triggers tobacco addiction by activating nicotine acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) in the midbrain dopaminergic reward system, primarily via the ventral tegmental area. Heterogeneity of cell populations in the region has made it difficult for pharmacology-based analyses to precisely assess the functional significance of glutamatergic inputs to dopamine neurons in nicotine addiction. By generating dopamine neuron-specific NR1 knockout mice using cre/loxP-mediated method, we demonstrate that genetic inactivation of the NMDA receptors in ventral tegmental area dopamine neurons selectively prevents nicotine-conditioned place preference. Interestingly, the mutant mice exhibit normal performances in the conditioned place aversion induced by aversive air puffs. Therefore, this selective effect on addictive drug-induced reinforcement behavior suggests that NMDA receptors in the dopamine neurons are critical for the development of nicotine addiction.
CitationPLoS One. 2010 Jan 7; 5(1):e8616
- NMDA Receptors on Dopaminoceptive Neurons Are Essential for Drug-Induced Conditioned Place Preference.
- Authors: Sikora M, Tokarski K, Bobula B, Zajdel J, Jastrzębska K, Cieślak PE, Zygmunt M, Sowa J, Smutek M, Kamińska K, Gołembiowska K, Engblom D, Hess G, Przewlocki R, Rodriguez Parkitna J
- Issue date: 2016 May-Jun
- Why flavored vape products may be attractive: Green apple tobacco flavor elicits reward-related behavior, upregulates nAChRs on VTA dopamine neurons, and alters midbrain dopamine and GABA neuron function.
- Authors: Avelar AJ, Akers AT, Baumgard ZJ, Cooper SY, Casinelli GP, Henderson BJ
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1
- Menthol Alone Upregulates Midbrain nAChRs, Alters nAChR Subtype Stoichiometry, Alters Dopamine Neuron Firing Frequency, and Prevents Nicotine Reward.
- Authors: Henderson BJ, Wall TR, Henley BM, Kim CH, Nichols WA, Moaddel R, Xiao C, Lester HA
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 9
- Differential desensitization and distribution of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in midbrain dopamine areas.
- Authors: Wooltorton JR, Pidoplichko VI, Broide RS, Dani JA
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 15
- α6-Containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in midbrain dopamine neurons are poised to govern dopamine-mediated behaviors and synaptic plasticity.
- Authors: Berry JN, Engle SE, McIntosh JM, Drenan RM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 24