Can novel Apo A-I polymorphisms be responsible for low HDL in South Asian immigrants?
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoronary artery disease (CAD) is the leading cause of death in the world. Even though its rates have decreased worldwide over the past 30 years, event rates are still high in South Asians. South Asians are known to have low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels. The objective of this study was to identify Apolipoprotein A-I (Apo A-I) polymorphisms, the main protein component of HDL and explore its association with low HDL levels in South Asians. A pilot study on 30 South Asians was conducted and 12-h fasting samples for C-reactive protein, total cholesterol, HDL, low-density lipoprotein (LDL), triglycerides, Lipoprotein (a), Insulin, glucose levels, DNA extraction, and sequencing of Apo A-I gene were done. DNA sequencing revealed six novel Apo A-I single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in South Asians, one of which (rs 35293760, C938T) was significantly associated with low (<40 mg/dl) HDL levels (P = 0.004). The association was also seen with total cholesterol (P = 0.026) and LDL levels (P = 0.032). This pilot work has highlighted some of the gene-environment associations that could be responsible for low HDL and may be excess CAD in South Asians. Further larger studies are required to explore and uncover these associations that could be responsible for excess CAD risk in South Asians.
CitationIndian J Hum Genet. 2008 Jan-Apr; 14(1):9-15
- Apo lipoprotein A1 gene polymorphisms predict cardio-metabolic risk in South Asian immigrants.
- Authors: Dodani S, Henkhaus R, Dong L, Butler MG
- Issue date: 2012
- Metabolic syndrome in South Asian immigrants: more than low HDL requiring aggressive management.
- Authors: Dodani S, Henkhaus R, Wick J, Vacek J, Gupta K, Dong L, Butler MG
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 16
- Lipid profile, plasma apolipoproteins, and risk of a first myocardial infarction among Asians: an analysis from the INTERHEART Study.
- Authors: Karthikeyan G, Teo KK, Islam S, McQueen MJ, Pais P, Wang X, Sato H, Lang CC, Sitthi-Amorn C, Pandey MR, Kazmi K, Sanderson JE, Yusuf S
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 20
- APOA1 gene polymorphisms in the South Asian immigrant population in the United States.
- Authors: Henkhaus RS, Dodani S, Manzardo AM, Butler MG
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Excess coronary artery disease risk in South Asian immigrants: can dysfunctional high-density lipoprotein explain increased risk?
- Authors: Dodani S
- Issue date: 2008