Impact of clinical pharmacy services on renal transplant recipients' adherence and outcomes.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this article is to provide a description of a clinical pharmacy services program implemented in a renal transplant clinic to improve medication access and adherence as well as health and economic outcomes among renal transplant recipients (RTRs). Following a team-based planning process and an informal survey of RTRs, a clinical pharmacy service intervention was implemented in the Medical College of Georgia renal transplant clinic. As part of the intervention, a clinical pharmacist reviewed and optimized medication therapy, provided instructions on how to take medication, and assisted with enrollment into medication assistance programs. Significant differences were found between RTRs who did and did not receive clinical pharmacy services on measures of adherence, health, economics, and quality of life. Clinical pharmacy services, as described in this article, have a positive impact on renal transplant recipients' medication adherence, health and economic outcomes, and health-related quality of life. The findings described here suggest that clinical pharmacy services are a viable and effective option for improving care for RTRs in an outpatient clinic setting.
CitationPatient Prefer Adherence. 2008 Feb 2; 2:287-292
- Managing specialty medication services through a specialty pharmacy program: the case of oral renal transplant immunosuppressant medications.
- Authors: Tschida S, Aslam S, Khan TT, Sahli B, Shrank WH, Lal LS
- Issue date: 2013 Jan-Feb
- Achieving blood pressure control among renal transplant recipients by integrating electronic health technology and clinical pharmacy services.
- Authors: Migliozzi DR, Zullo AR, Collins C, Elsaid KA
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 15
- Impact of clinical pharmacy services on renal transplant patients' compliance with immunosuppressive medications.
- Authors: Chisholm MA, Mulloy LL, Jagadeesan M, DiPiro JT
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Medication therapy management and adherence among US renal transplant recipients.
- Authors: Chisholm-Burns MA, Spivey CA, Tolley EA, Kaplan EK
- Issue date: 2016
- Effects of a medication assistance program with medication therapy management on the health of renal transplant recipients.
- Authors: Chisholm MA, Spivey CA, Mulloy LL
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 15